May 19, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
That means Giambi will return from a strained calf without going on a minor-league rehab assignment first. It also means he’ll return to the active roster despite being 0-for-10 on the season and hitting .183 in 71 games last season. For whatever reason the Indians feel very strongly about the value of having Giambi around despite his being 43 years old and last being a productive hitter in 2011.
They re-signed him, they gave him a 25-man roster spot after a broken rib during spring training, and now they’re rushing him back from a stint on the disabled list.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 153
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 132
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (150)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (132)