May 19, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
That means Giambi will return from a strained calf without going on a minor-league rehab assignment first. It also means he’ll return to the active roster despite being 0-for-10 on the season and hitting .183 in 71 games last season. For whatever reason the Indians feel very strongly about the value of having Giambi around despite his being 43 years old and last being a productive hitter in 2011.
They re-signed him, they gave him a 25-man roster spot after a broken rib during spring training, and now they’re rushing him back from a stint on the disabled list.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 55
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)