Mike Trout asked a girl out to the prom for some boy

May 19, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT

Mike Trout, always looking to help:

I’m struggling to see how this all went down in a way that doesn’t make this Tim guy look bad.

I mean, sure, Emily said yes and that’s great, but that’s a short term, circumstances-driven acceptance. Over time Emily is going to realize that she’s going out with a dude who doesn’t have the courage to ask his own date out. A guy who will look to dazzle her rather than be a person of substance. What’s Tim hiding? ย Why is he so afraid? These are the questions Emily may ask herself soon. But only for a second, as she is young and has her whole life in front of her and will find that there are guys out there who are much more sure of themselves and what they want.

So enjoy the prom, Emily. And here’s hoping Tim is a nice guy who interests you and treats you well. But really, don’t be fooled by this brush with fame, for it is so fleeting and may be masking some of Tim’s issues.

Or at least hold out for a guy who has Miguel Cabrera ask you out for him. Miggy’s got two MVP awards after all.

UPDATE: ย Tim reached out:

Good job, young man. Now go have fun at the prom.

1. gothapotamus90210 - May 19, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Teenage dudes these days need to grow a pair. I’m surprised he didn’t ask her via text.

• gothapotamus90210 - May 19, 2014 at 12:59 PM

What’s with all the patsies downvoting this comment? Mustering up the courage to ask a girl to the prom was a normal part of the development of a young man’s social skills when I graduated HS in 2000.

Don’t give me the argument it puts too much pressure / stress on the guy asking the female. If a guy gets rejected, that’s unfortunately part of life, learn to deal with it. Pick yourself back up, pat yourself on the back for trying and move on.

2. apkyletexas - May 19, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Craig – she said “omg” three times. THREE! That means she totally digs Tim – get off the young man’s case.

• El Bravo - May 19, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Maybe she digs Tim, but I bet she would dig Mike more given the chance.

3. 49faithful - May 19, 2014 at 11:15 AM

The kid is in high school and your harder on him then grown a$$ dudes that are either cheating the game or just complete d bags. I think you are just a jealous loser…

• Craig Calcaterra - May 19, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Or maybe this whole post was meant in a joking fashion. But feel free to believe what you’d like.

4. dtownbeatdown - May 19, 2014 at 11:16 AM

I mean they are in high school, most of us thought we were smooth and suave in high school. Give the TEENAGER a break Craig. Don’t tell me you wouldn’t take the opportunity for an all star player to ask a girl out for you in high school. Sounds like the writer got turned down by the chick he asked to prom.

5. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 19, 2014 at 11:18 AM

I sense a touch of sarcasm in here, folks. Take it easy. Put the internet torches down and step away from the post.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - May 19, 2014 at 12:17 PM

But where else would the United Critics of Craig Calcaterra Because We are Far Superior group meet?

6. nottinghamforest13 - May 19, 2014 at 11:19 AM

He could have gotten Josh Lueke to ask her for him.

• paperlions - May 19, 2014 at 1:37 PM

This is just WRONG….WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. Because I can’t stop laughing at it.

• Reflex - May 19, 2014 at 3:44 PM

I shouldn’t laugh but dammit I can’t stop grinning at my desk. Totally awful.

• playball - May 19, 2014 at 3:02 PM

I can’t believe I just read this comment.

Sarcasm or not, not funny

• dillongeeescapeplan - May 20, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Holy LOL

7. username5891 - May 19, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Bob Ryan says stop 2nd guessing young Tim’s managerial moves. Making Mike Trout sac bunt for him worked out brilliantly for the kid.

8. wonkypenguin - May 19, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Tim wanted a pitcher to ask her, but thought better of it, assuming whomever he picked would tear his UCL typing the message.

9. zengreaser - May 19, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Says the guy who gets all squirmy looking at pictures of his (ex)wife when she was young.

Let’s not go calling out other people’s romantic “issues”, Craig.

• zengreaser - May 19, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Seriously, my apologies for the trollish comment, Craig. That was a low-blow on my part. Let’s just give the kid a break – he is a kid after all.

10. mustbechris - May 19, 2014 at 11:30 AM

I don’t think that kid cares about substance, Trout just got him laid

• Craig Calcaterra - May 19, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Pretty decent counterpoint, TBH.

11. Pat Richardson - May 19, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Youth is wasted on the young.

12. darthicarus - May 19, 2014 at 11:45 AM

You know how many Twitter followers she gained from this…Tim probably just guaranteed getting laid at least twice just for that.

13. chrisbenji - May 19, 2014 at 11:47 AM

I know it’s Monday, but some of you need to relax on a post that wasn’t even supposed to be taken serious lol

14. DelawarePhilliesFan - May 19, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Silent on the topic of “go to prom” vs. “go to the prom”….does this suggest a shifting of your stance?

FWIW, I never understood leaving “the” out either

• Craig Calcaterra - May 19, 2014 at 12:02 PM

It’s in the subhed on the main HBT page. Go check it out.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - May 19, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Ahh – thrown off by the subheading.

That covered it well!

15. poesis9 - May 19, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Craig, I bet you you learned about the use of articles at the school.

16. gloccamorra - May 19, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Teddy Roosevelt did yeoman work tossing those extraneous letters from British spelling to create taut, simplified American spelling. We shouldn’t be criticizing the Brits when they don’t use articles in “to hospital”, or “to prom”, or “to university”. We should be encouraging them so they’ll feel comfortable taking those last two silent letters out of “programme”.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey