Mitch Williams is taking a leave of absence from MLB Network

May 19, 2014, 9:10 AM EST

Mitch Williams

When we heard last week that Mitch Williams ordered one of his ten-year-old Little League players to bean another ten-year-old player — and that Williams called a kid on the other team a vile name — I said that if I ran the MLB Network I’d fire Williams. Well, the next best thing is happening:

The MLB Network told the Daily News Saturday afternoon that Williams is taking a leave of absence from the network.

“Mitch Williams has decided to take a leave of absence from his role at MLB Network at this time,” an MLB Network spokesperson said in an email to the Daily News. “We are continuing to look into the matter.”

I wonder if it was really Williams who “decided” the matter. Because doing so would require good judgment and Williams seems to have none at all.

Now, if we could get rid of Chris Russo we’d really be cooking with gas.

1. jlilly67 - May 19, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Amazed he held a job. Says some of the dumbest things on air. Typical Meathead. Now if they could only lose ‘Master of the Obvious’ Harold Reynolds

• miedwards - May 20, 2014 at 10:34 AM

I think Harold Reynolds is the best analyst they have. They need to get rid of the sophomoric Greg Amsinger.

2. 461deep - May 19, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Mitch seems to have come to grips with the fact that he has a problem whether or not his leave is voluntary or forced. We must realize that a number of us will always do the absurd from time to time. We can debate each case on its merits as to how to deal with them. Russo has been around a long time on radio with Francesa and on his own.
    Brian Kenny, Harold Reynolds, Bob Costas etc. all have their views as does Russo. Room for all of us to argue about views, stat crunching, replay on and on. Most ex baseball players will not be as polished as trained sports writers and TV announcers and commenters But their views are necessary despite what some know it all posters on this board think.

3. bisonaudit - May 19, 2014 at 2:28 PM

That’s vile and Williams deserves to be suspended, but does no one know the difference between a bean ball (a pitch to the head of a batter) and a generic hit by pitch any more?

A bean ball, is, or at least it used to be, a very specific thing.

4. Robert - May 19, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Orange County Native.

5. vincentbojackson - May 19, 2014 at 4:20 PM

MLB Network is apparently unable to find another washed up former player that’s looking for work to take William’s spot.

6. theguy9 - May 19, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Not saying he shouldn’t be diciplined for this incident but I found nothing wrong with him as a analyst on mlb network, in fact I thought he was actually pretty good and brought some good bluntness to the network…mlb network is still far and away better then anything baseball on espn

7. lawson1974 - May 19, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Now, if NBC would just get rid of Craig calcaterra , all would be good in the world.

• renaado - May 20, 2014 at 1:01 AM

In the world? Probably only in your own world.

8. disgracedfury - May 20, 2014 at 1:02 AM

lawson1974:

Why because Craig isn’t a MLB stooge and isn’t in love with Selig like the Daily News and MLB network.MLB paid for stolen documents and The Daily news is still coming up with A-Rod shaving his legs stories.

Sorry Craig and Mike Francesa want to tell the whole story and not what MLb approves.Selig runs everything.

9. racksie - May 20, 2014 at 1:37 AM

I saw Mitch on the Dan Patrick show a few weeks back. Guy looked and sounded like he may have a had a few. At 9 am. And I am not surprised by this kind of behavior from this guy. Who ever let this guy coach kids should also “take a leave of absence” as well.

10. skosloff - May 20, 2014 at 8:35 AM

Watching Williams on MLB Network the other night he appeared to be drunk. He was loud, his speech was a bit slurred and in the segment where they were all standing in front of the large screen he appeared to be a bit wobbly. I think that alcohol might be a big factor in all of the problems he’s been having throughout his playing career, TV career, and coaching kids.

11. minorleaguedropout21 - Jun 26, 2014 at 1:55 AM

First off I want to say I was pleasantly surprised at what a good analyst he was on MLB tonight considering I remember him as a player like all of you and, well, enough said. As a player he was a circus, and a crummy circus at that. Which is why I was so surprised at the humility he showed and the knowledge he was able to convey. Clearly he was brought in to mlb network to be the somewhat crass, tell it like it is using words like “ain’t” and double negatives left and right. I just thought they balanced mlb tonight well with him combined with the other guys like amsinger, Sean Casey, billy Ripken, plesac etc. Honestly I thought he’d moved to a cave and had become a ray finkel type of recluse after he stood up after falling down with the worst pitching mechanics ever and walked off the field at the metrodome, mullet wavering in the air as joe carter ran around the bases. Obviously if this, really any of this at all is true it is unacceptable for the myriad of reasons listed in other comments. Personally, having played baseball all my life until finally realizing ok I’m playing In cities I’ve never heard of riding buses all night making lays potato chips and couldn’t hit a lick in double A. That’s not brag by ANY means, I was 21 when I realized so I’m not AS big of a loser as many but I have perspective on baseball coaches for nearly all my life and things like this are not as uncommon as they obviously should be. Usually it’s some coach who works at Home Depot and is living vicariously through his child putting him at shortstop and pitching and trying to make his kid a star because his own life sucks. They destroy baseball for the other 8 kids on the team because all they care about is their own kid. But the majority of coaches coaching TEN year olds are just fathers who are willing to put in a LOT of time and really do care about the kids and do a great job. I don’t feel a former major leaguer should be coaching his sons team at all. If he was a draw because he has MLB experience then he could come to practice and help out. I understand his desire to coach his child and THAT desire I have no problem with. But still, bury that desire and support your son from the stands like the civilian you are now. If Mitch felt he just HAD to coach his kids team he should be the most quiet coach on the bench and have no desire to draw attention to himself. Phil Nevin coached his son here in San Diego at the very same age, he’s now coaching in AAA a step away from being an MLB manager, but Phil who was a bit edgy as a player too didn’t feel an incessant need to draw attention to himself. I had thought based on his work on the mlb network that mitch had grown up, realized he had a 12 year career and hey despite always being known as a total cliche and giving up the walk off series winner in 93. I was clearly wrong. His actions, if ALL of this IS true are unforgivable and he should realize that and ban himself from coaching or even commenting on his kids games and take a serious inventory of himself. I do however think he deserves another chance, in time. He needs to apologize to everyone who was there and the entire tournament or whatever, make a donation and realize you can’t coach your child. Also, he’s got a radio talk show and multiple other forms of income in and around the Philadelphia area (you’d think they’d hate him there, they don’t).

Chris Russo is the worst show I have ever seen on the MLB network or ESPN or anything else sports related. I do not need to hear yet another stereotype yell at me in an east coast accent. I literally can’t stand that guy his show sucks. His voice may sound great on the radio for all I know but Chris Russo you were NOT meant for TV. I seriously feel like I am being yelled at by some guy in a track suit in the Flatbush section of Brooklyn. He and Brian Kenny need to take a cab ride together around earth and never come back. Brian Kenny is the smartest guy in the world, just ask him and he will be happy to tell you. He’s stupid. Somebody made the mistake of letting him see the movie Moneyball.

Harold Reynolds got fired by ESPN for giving a woman a half hug and has since won an Emmy for his role on MLB tonight, so obviously I can’t be the only person who likes his POV. Mitch Williams is controversy. He was as a player and was brought to the mlb network to be that country boy sounding contradictory voice and he did it well while actually knowing what he was talking about. Hell live either way but I’d like to see a large apology followed by a hiatus and possibly a slow comeback in 2015. And should consider himself lucky if he’s ever allowed to sit in the back row of the bleachers and watch his son play. Professional players should not coach young kids. But how long can we deal with a cast of Mark DeRosa (the guys got a condescending tone and to be shallow and immature I just can’t stand his face, or Darryl singleterry is it? The guy wears bow ties to try to be the African American ken Rosenthal.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester