May 19, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Over the weekend SCP Auctions hauled in $650,108 for a gold watch once owned by Babe Ruth.
According to the auction listing the watch was from the 25th anniversary of Yankee Stadium in 1948. Ruth died in August of that same year.
Also in the same auction, via the Associated Press: Sandy Koufax’s autographed Dodgers jersey sold for $268,664 and Satchel Paige’s Hall of Fame ring sold for $259,642.
In related news: Some people have a lot of money. Like, really a lot.
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 14
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 36
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 18
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 20
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)