Yasiel Puig is taking bat-flipping to the next level

May 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

I haven’t watched the David Ortiz-produced “Off the Bat from the MLB Fan Cave” show on MTV2 for a couple of reasons. The biggest of which is that I’m not really the demographic they’re shooting for. “Off the Bat” is aimed at younger people and is an (admirable, in my view) effort to try to market MLB players in ways the league really hasn’t done much of before. Since it is speculated by experts that I don’t enjoy or appreciate baseball, all this fun and jocularity is all lost on me.

But I may have to change that policy this week, because this is happening:

source:

Taylor Baucom/MLB Photos

According to the press release, “Yasiel Puig flips a bat for every occasion.” Which is pretty fantastic. In the likely event that I die before Puig, I would want him to do a bat-flip salute at my funeral. Maybe we could get Carlos Gomez to be a pallbearer too. Let him decide if he wants to do a slow strut to the grave or one of those fast sprints he sometimes does. Regardless, I’d probably pay Puig and Gomez $200/hr to walk and/or strut around my son’s birthday party and flip bats and things.

This week’s “Off the Bat from the MLB Fan Cave” airs at 11pm tomorrow night on MTV2. Ain’t gonna lie, I’m gonna watch this thing.

1. nbjays - May 19, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Craig, if you have Gomez as a pallbearer, you’ll never make it into the ground, because Brian McCann will be blocking the way.

/obligatory Sheriff McCann reference

• playball - May 19, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Thanks.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - May 19, 2014 at 3:13 PM

I would’ve used the word “hackneyed” instead of “obligatory” there, personally.

• clemente2 - May 19, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Awesome nbjays,and the two crumudgeon/denialists before me can go be cranky on their own.

McCann deserves everything he ever gets on this and more.

2. coffeeblack95616 - May 19, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Lol, I suppose that last sentence puts you in the demographic for the show.

3. provguard - May 19, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Puig is really talented and he knows it. As a player fine, but as a person, phew!!!!

• koufaxmitzvah - May 19, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Because you can tell a lot about a person by how you interpret their style of play on the teevee.

Me, I let the people speak for themselves. Like you, for example. Phew is right.

• clemente2 - May 19, 2014 at 3:38 PM

this

• jimeejohnson - May 19, 2014 at 6:32 PM

I can tell a person’s favorite food by the way they flip their bat. Whadya mean “nope”?

4. illuminancer - May 19, 2014 at 2:42 PM

I was noticing that Puig’s bat flips are…kind of boring. No real style; he just sort of lifts his arm and lets it drop. 6.4 from the Romanian judge.

5. koufaxmitzvah - May 19, 2014 at 2:55 PM

The size of the bat flip has noticeably increased lately, probably in correlation to the number of heads he causes to explode.

I’m not into the Maths or Sciences, but I’m sure there’s an equation that can prove this.

• jimeejohnson - May 19, 2014 at 6:33 PM

“Jealousy breed contempt.” Ask…Lebron James. He’ll tell ya.

• sportsfan18 - May 19, 2014 at 8:17 PM

When one is the King, there is no NEED to be jealous…

As Mel Brooks says, “It’s good to be the king!”

6. apkyletexas - May 19, 2014 at 3:24 PM

This should really endear him to opposing pitching staffs. I’m sure he won’t get beaned at all going forward.

Nice move. And he should slide into first base more often – no risk there either.

• jimeejohnson - May 19, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Two words: Pete Rose.

• jwbiii - May 19, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Puig does get hit rather often. About as often as Josh Willingham. Not as often as Chase Utley or Kevin Frandsen.

7. seanwasamarine - May 19, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Puig is a chump

8. scatterbrian - May 19, 2014 at 8:10 PM

That looks like the blueprint for an eventual statue outside Chavez Ravine. It’ll be interesting to see how they get the bat to float though….

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto