May 20, 2014, 1:20 PM EST
Convinced the Angels weren’t going to call him up from Triple-A anytime soon, veteran reliever Brandon Lyon has opted out of his minor-league deal and become a free agent.
Lyon signed a minor-league contract with the Angels in February, but the 34-year-old right-hander was unimpressive at Triple-A with a 4.08 ERA and 9/8 K/BB ratio in 18 innings. Lyon was also sub par for the Mets last season before being released in July, but he was actually very effective in 2012.
- MLB declares Hector Olivera a free agent 0
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)