May 20, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Convinced the Angels weren’t going to call him up from Triple-A anytime soon, veteran reliever Brandon Lyon has opted out of his minor-league deal and become a free agent.
Lyon signed a minor-league contract with the Angels in February, but the 34-year-old right-hander was unimpressive at Triple-A with a 4.08 ERA and 9/8 K/BB ratio in 18 innings. Lyon was also sub par for the Mets last season before being released in July, but he was actually very effective in 2012.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)