Brewers first baseman Lyle Overbay pitched last night

May 20, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT

Lyle Overbay Brewers AP

Veteran first baseman Lyle Overbay made the first pitching appearance of his career last night at age 37, retiring the only batter he faced to get the Brewers out of the eighth inning in a blowout loss to the Braves.

Overbay got Braves catcher (and former teammate) Ryan Doumit to pop out in a six-pitch at-bat and afterward Doumit had some funny quotes about the matchup:

Anytime you face another position player, you just don’t want to strike out, especially against another Washington boy and former teammate. So, I was just trying to put the bat on the ball. The kid has nasty stuff. He’s got a bright future. I’m going to keep my eye on him.

Overbay, who pitched a little bit in college 15 years ago, topped out at 83 miles per hour.

MLB.com has the video:

I love this stuff.

Announcement: Hardball Talk‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Tuesday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on TuesdayHere’s the FanDuel link.

1. Old Gator - May 20, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Later, Overbay reported soreness in his right elbow and was sent into town for a beer.

• lazyhorse420 - May 20, 2014 at 11:47 AM

He can be thankful it wasn’t his throwing arm.

2. thetxhammer - May 20, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Is it just me or has there been way more position players getting time on the bump this year?

Maybe it’s just expanded coverage reporting it?

3. brewcrewfan54 - May 20, 2014 at 11:25 AM

This is already the 2nd time Roenicke has called on a position player to pitch this season. Roenicke is not doing a good job managing this bullpen in games where the Brewer starters aren’t able to go 6 or 7 innings. Couple that with a spot taken up by Wang who can’t be trusted to pitch in any situation and its a mounting problem. Luckily the starters have generally pitched well enough where he hasn’t had to take them out early too often so far.

• Barb Caffrey - May 20, 2014 at 5:47 PM

I agree. Maldonado was the first to have to pitch . . . while I don’t think RR does a terrible job with the bullpen, I didn’t understand what was going on last night. Unless everyone else out there had the flu, couldn’t someone besides Wang come out in the bottom of the 8th? The Brewers were only down by one run at the time, losing 4-3, and Braun had just hit a homer to get us there.

When RR sent Wang out, I knew he was conceding the game. Even the Brewers scouting staff has said Wang is not a major league pitcher at this time; if not for being a Rule 5 guy, he’d be in High A ball, not the big leagues. So if you send him up against one of the best teams in the league, like the Braves, you have to expect that Wang is going to get knocked around — which he did.

In fact, Lyle Overbay looked so much better than Wang, I’d much rather be trotting _him_ out there than Wang if we must concede a game to a league rival.

Because RR plays his cards so close to the vest, I haven’t a clue why he did this, either. There was nothing from Brewers announcers Brian Anderson and Bill Schroeder as to why Wang would’ve been trotted out there rather than someone else; I realize Kintzler and Duke were gone, and assuredly no one wanted to send K-Rod up in a situation like that, but wasn’t someone else available?

It was a _one-run game_. RR clearly conceded it. And the writers and announcers afterward asked RR nothing about this, possibly because they figured he’d not give any answers anyway.

As a huge Brewers fan, I found this incredibly disconcerting . . . even though I did enjoy watching Overbay pitch and get the last out.

4. miguelcairo - May 20, 2014 at 11:44 AM

No one looks more like a soccer dad than Papa Overbay.

Good job on the 0.00 ERA dad!

5. bobwheel - May 20, 2014 at 12:02 PM

If he was still with the Yankees, he might be in the rotation.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2830)