May 20, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Veteran first baseman Lyle Overbay made the first pitching appearance of his career last night at age 37, retiring the only batter he faced to get the Brewers out of the eighth inning in a blowout loss to the Braves.
Anytime you face another position player, you just don’t want to strike out, especially against another Washington boy and former teammate. So, I was just trying to put the bat on the ball. The kid has nasty stuff. He’s got a bright future. I’m going to keep my eye on him.
Overbay, who pitched a little bit in college 15 years ago, topped out at 83 miles per hour.
MLB.com has the video:
I love this stuff.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Tuesday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)