May 20, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Veteran first baseman Lyle Overbay made the first pitching appearance of his career last night at age 37, retiring the only batter he faced to get the Brewers out of the eighth inning in a blowout loss to the Braves.
Anytime you face another position player, you just don’t want to strike out, especially against another Washington boy and former teammate. So, I was just trying to put the bat on the ball. The kid has nasty stuff. He’s got a bright future. I’m going to keep my eye on him.
Overbay, who pitched a little bit in college 15 years ago, topped out at 83 miles per hour.
MLB.com has the video:
I love this stuff.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Tuesday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 114
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 64
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (129)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)