May 20, 2014, 10:23 PM EST
Orioles slugger Chris Davis entered Tuesday night’s series opener against the Pirates with just three home runs on the year. He doubled that total in three straight at-bats, smacking a two-run shot in the top of the fifth inning, a solo shot in the seventh inning, and another two-run shot in the ninth inning.
Davis watched his OPS jump from .725 to .844. It was the second three-homer game of his career. Here’s the third blast of the night, with a great call from O’s play-by-play man Gary Thorne …
The Orioles wound up defeating the host Bucs in a 9-2 rout and are now 23-20 on the season.
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 14
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 41
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15