May 20, 2014, 6:35 PM EST
No pitcher is safe from the elbow injury epidemic.
According to CSNPhilly.com’s Jim Salisbury, Phillies ace Cliff Lee underwent an MRI on his left elbow Tuesday after complaining of discomfort. Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer says the veteran ace has been pitching with a flexor pronator strain for three weeks, and now there might be further damage.
Lee tossed 6 2/3 solid innings against the Reds in his last turn through the Phillies’ starting rotation and owns a cool 3.18 ERA with 61 strikeouts in 68 total innings this season. He has never had any major elbow or shoulder issues.
Lee is making a $25 million salary this year and he’s owed another $25 million next year, so Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery (and its 12-15 month recovery process) would be a crushing blow for the Phillies.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 63
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)