May 20, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
You remember Jorge Cantu, right? He had one pretty decent year with the Rays about a decade ago, bounced around and last played in the majors in 2011. After a stint in Mexico he’s playing in the KBO. And the only reason we’re hearing about him now is because he got into Twitter Trouble.
Seems he retweted what was, in effect, a “Koreans all look alike joke” in which one person’s face was photoshopped onto different bodies and you’re supposed to try to tell the people apart. From the Korea Times:
The 32-year-old former Major League player immediately removed the posting since it started to draw strong criticism on the Internet. Later, he said he had no intention of making racist comments through the post.
But Internet users strongly criticized his careless action, and it was disappointing news for his fans, who have praised his impressive performance and contributions to the team.
His actual apology said that he meant to delete the tweet but accidentally retweeted it. Which, well, that’s not how Twitter works, but go with what you feel, Jorge.
In other news, when you’re 32 and you’re playing for $250K in Korea, you probably don’t have many more chances left, so perhaps it’s a good idea not to offend the people who give you one.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 41
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 74
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 67
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (99)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (86)