May 20, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
You remember Jorge Cantu, right? He had one pretty decent year with the Rays about a decade ago, bounced around and last played in the majors in 2011. After a stint in Mexico he’s playing in the KBO. And the only reason we’re hearing about him now is because he got into Twitter Trouble.
Seems he retweted what was, in effect, a “Koreans all look alike joke” in which one person’s face was photoshopped onto different bodies and you’re supposed to try to tell the people apart. From the Korea Times:
The 32-year-old former Major League player immediately removed the posting since it started to draw strong criticism on the Internet. Later, he said he had no intention of making racist comments through the post.
But Internet users strongly criticized his careless action, and it was disappointing news for his fans, who have praised his impressive performance and contributions to the team.
His actual apology said that he meant to delete the tweet but accidentally retweeted it. Which, well, that’s not how Twitter works, but go with what you feel, Jorge.
In other news, when you’re 32 and you’re playing for $250K in Korea, you probably don’t have many more chances left, so perhaps it’s a good idea not to offend the people who give you one.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)