May 20, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
You remember Jorge Cantu, right? He had one pretty decent year with the Rays about a decade ago, bounced around and last played in the majors in 2011. After a stint in Mexico he’s playing in the KBO. And the only reason we’re hearing about him now is because he got into Twitter Trouble.
Seems he retweted what was, in effect, a “Koreans all look alike joke” in which one person’s face was photoshopped onto different bodies and you’re supposed to try to tell the people apart. From the Korea Times:
The 32-year-old former Major League player immediately removed the posting since it started to draw strong criticism on the Internet. Later, he said he had no intention of making racist comments through the post.
But Internet users strongly criticized his careless action, and it was disappointing news for his fans, who have praised his impressive performance and contributions to the team.
His actual apology said that he meant to delete the tweet but accidentally retweeted it. Which, well, that’s not how Twitter works, but go with what you feel, Jorge.
In other news, when you’re 32 and you’re playing for $250K in Korea, you probably don’t have many more chances left, so perhaps it’s a good idea not to offend the people who give you one.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 10
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 81
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (81)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)