May 20, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Coffey is coming back from Tommy John elbow surgery, which cost him all of last season.
Famous for his hefty frame and sprint in from the bullpen before each appearance, Coffey was generally a solid middle reliever-caliber arm before the elbow problems. He posted a 3.76 ERA in 225 innings from 2009-2012, with decent strikeout and walk rates.
He’ll head to Triple-A for now and try to pitch his way back to the majors at age 33.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 21
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 6
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 86
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (93)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)