May 20, 2014, 3:45 PM EST
Coffey is coming back from Tommy John elbow surgery, which cost him all of last season.
Famous for his hefty frame and sprint in from the bullpen before each appearance, Coffey was generally a solid middle reliever-caliber arm before the elbow problems. He posted a 3.76 ERA in 225 innings from 2009-2012, with decent strikeout and walk rates.
He’ll head to Triple-A for now and try to pitch his way back to the majors at age 33.
- Report: Giants close to acquiring Casey McGehee from Marlins 4
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 53
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 139
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (139)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)