May 20, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Coffey is coming back from Tommy John elbow surgery, which cost him all of last season.
Famous for his hefty frame and sprint in from the bullpen before each appearance, Coffey was generally a solid middle reliever-caliber arm before the elbow problems. He posted a 3.76 ERA in 225 innings from 2009-2012, with decent strikeout and walk rates.
He’ll head to Triple-A for now and try to pitch his way back to the majors at age 33.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)