May 20, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
Not a fan of Chris Russo on MLB Network. For whatever charms the “scream at everything” approach has on talk radio — not my cup of tea, but it is an established style in that medium, for better or worse — it’s beyond assaulting on TV. Really, unwatchable. Which stinks, because I generally like the product MLB Network puts on the air. While we may quibble with the analysis of any number of their personalities, the content itself is not hostile. At least you can take Kevin Millar in without feeling assaulted. Russo has some good points occasionally I’d presume, but you’d never know it because your ears are constantly bleeding.
If you feel the same way, you’ll enjoy this story from DC Sports Bog about a little dustup between Russo and Nationals radio play-by-play guy Charlie Slowes. Slowes stumbled slightly on a home run call the other night — a tough “did-he-catch-it-or-not” thing which was quickly corrected — and Russo totally ripped him for it on his show. Even worse, he did it while Slowes was waiting to go on another MLB Network show, which meant he got to hear himself being insulted in his ear piece. As is the case with everything else with Russo, it was bad in form and content.
Slowes went on local radio to talk about it and ripped Russo for his “hysterical illiterate screaming.” Which, sure, you may not like little spats like this, but it’s hard to disagree with a word Slowes had to say.
And with that, you can go on continuing to ignore Mad Dog Russo. Or at least I hope you can. Because the quicker we all do, the quicker MLB Network gets wise and puts on someone who actually can carry on a conversation or some commentary like an adult human being.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 14
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 26
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 54
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 68
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 85
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)