Nats’ radio guy Charlie Slowes ripped by Mad Dog Russo and then rips him right back

May 20, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT

Chris Russo

Not a fan of Chris Russo on MLB Network. For whatever charms the “scream at everything” approach has on talk radio — not my cup of tea, but it is an established style in that medium, for better or worse — it’s beyond assaulting on TV. Really, unwatchable. Which stinks, because I generally like the product MLB Network puts on the air. While we may quibble with the analysis of any number of their personalities, the content itself is not hostile. At least you can take Kevin Millar in without feeling assaulted. Russo has some good points occasionally I’d presume, but you’d never know it because your ears are constantly bleeding.

If you feel the same way, you’ll enjoy this story from DC Sports Bog about a little dustup between Russo and Nationals radio play-by-play guy Charlie Slowes. Slowes stumbled slightly on a home run call the other night — a tough “did-he-catch-it-or-not” thing which was quickly corrected — and Russo totally ripped him for it on his show. Even worse, he did it while Slowes was waiting to go on another MLB Network show, which meant he got to hear himself being insulted in his ear piece. As is the case with everything else with Russo, it was bad in form and content.

Slowes went on local radio to talk about it and ripped Russo for his “hysterical illiterate screaming.” Which, sure, you may not like little spats like this, but it’s hard to disagree with a word Slowes had to say.

And with that, you can go on continuing to ignore Mad Dog Russo. Or at least I hope you can. Because the quicker we all do, the quicker MLB Network gets wise and puts on someone who actually can carry on a conversation or some commentary like an adult human being.

1. banger60 - May 21, 2014 at 1:44 AM

THE MADDOG!!!!!

2. pete2112 - May 21, 2014 at 10:10 AM

I’ll admit I listen to his show on Sirius and have listened to him since his early days on the WFAN, but I’ve never seen his show on MLB. I quite honestly don’t know why I always go back to him to listen as he’s not the brightest guy in the world and at times seems very out of touch with the normal working person, but he can be entertaining at times. I hardly ever agree with him and most of the time he’ll say something to annoy me, but I keep going back for some odd reason. I will say this though, he’s the last person who should be throwing out insults with regard to a bad play by play call when he himself has a tough time articulating a simple sentence on his own radio show.

3. weeniss - May 21, 2014 at 10:19 AM

I totally agree. He is unwatchable…I like the show but he has to go.

4. tvguy22 - May 21, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Russo is brutal. On radio, TV, anywhere.

5. jeffa43 - May 21, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Chris did a bit on how bad the Astros are, and said nobody whol follows baseball believes this team can contend in the next 5 years…

So mlb is paying this guy to bash a team that is well on its way to becoming the model of how to build a championship team through youth, and building the best farm system in baseball.

Very well could be bashing the dominant team of baseball over the next decade.

Why not focus on the positive, and sceam something that is not Negitiviity !!

If I want an hour of loud, stressful, and continuous Negitiviity … I will watch cnn.

Get this clown off the air, you are losing viewers.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS