May 20, 2014, 2:21 PM EDT
President Barack Obama says he’s heading to the Baseball Hall of Fame to stress how tourism can lead to good-paying jobs. In his weekly radio and Internet address, Obama says he’ll be in Cooperstown, New York, on Thursday.
Both George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush — both excellent baseball players and huge baseball fans — visited the the hall before or after their time in the White House. Bill Clinton went once after he left office. Not sure if that was a fan thing or if he was campaigning around New York for his wife or for someone else. If I remember correctly Billy was more of a college hoops guy. I’m not sure about other presidents. Reagan likely went at some time. He was a baseball broadcaster once, after all. I’m guessing Ford, Nixon and Johnson all thought Canton was better. Jimmy Carter was gonna go but he decided it’d cost too much in gas money and chose to stay back and read a book about alternative energy instead.
Obama is there as part of a tourism/economic speech so it’s not all play, but he’s a legit baseball fan, so I hope he has fun with it at least. Like, maybe he’ll realize that he never has to stand for election again, tell himself to forget about the political repercussions and make a full-throated call for the induction of Barry Bonds.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 90
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 64
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 50
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (92)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)