May 20, 2014, 2:21 PM EDT
President Barack Obama says he’s heading to the Baseball Hall of Fame to stress how tourism can lead to good-paying jobs. In his weekly radio and Internet address, Obama says he’ll be in Cooperstown, New York, on Thursday.
Both George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush — both excellent baseball players and huge baseball fans — visited the the hall before or after their time in the White House. Bill Clinton went once after he left office. Not sure if that was a fan thing or if he was campaigning around New York for his wife or for someone else. If I remember correctly Billy was more of a college hoops guy. I’m not sure about other presidents. Reagan likely went at some time. He was a baseball broadcaster once, after all. I’m guessing Ford, Nixon and Johnson all thought Canton was better. Jimmy Carter was gonna go but he decided it’d cost too much in gas money and chose to stay back and read a book about alternative energy instead.
Obama is there as part of a tourism/economic speech so it’s not all play, but he’s a legit baseball fan, so I hope he has fun with it at least. Like, maybe he’ll realize that he never has to stand for election again, tell himself to forget about the political repercussions and make a full-throated call for the induction of Barry Bonds.
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 7
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 20
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)