May 20, 2014, 2:21 PM EDT
President Barack Obama says he’s heading to the Baseball Hall of Fame to stress how tourism can lead to good-paying jobs. In his weekly radio and Internet address, Obama says he’ll be in Cooperstown, New York, on Thursday.
Both George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush — both excellent baseball players and huge baseball fans — visited the the hall before or after their time in the White House. Bill Clinton went once after he left office. Not sure if that was a fan thing or if he was campaigning around New York for his wife or for someone else. If I remember correctly Billy was more of a college hoops guy. I’m not sure about other presidents. Reagan likely went at some time. He was a baseball broadcaster once, after all. I’m guessing Ford, Nixon and Johnson all thought Canton was better. Jimmy Carter was gonna go but he decided it’d cost too much in gas money and chose to stay back and read a book about alternative energy instead.
Obama is there as part of a tourism/economic speech so it’s not all play, but he’s a legit baseball fan, so I hope he has fun with it at least. Like, maybe he’ll realize that he never has to stand for election again, tell himself to forget about the political repercussions and make a full-throated call for the induction of Barry Bonds.
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 7
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 196
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 93
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (196)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (93)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (84)