May 20, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Texas pushed Tanner Scheppers into its injury wrecked rotation, making him the Opening Day starter without any starting experience in the majors. He pitched horribly and then got hurt, and now that he’s close to being healthy again the Rangers can’t decide what to do with him.
Scheppers had a ton of success as a reliever last year, posting a 1.88 ERA in 77 innings, but the Rangers’ rotation remains wrecked by injuries and they could certainly use another quality starter in the mix. Of course, Scheppers had a 9.82 ERA in four starts while showing decreased velocity before being shut down with an elbow injury.
T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com reports that the Rangers “are at least planning to stretch out Scheppers during his rehabilitation assignment so they have the option of bringing him back as a starter.” And for whatever it’s worth, Scheppers has said repeatedly that he prefers to be a starter.
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game, as they’re announced… 1
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 102
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (102)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)