May 20, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT
Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the Cincinnati Reds have signed pitcher Jair Jurrjens to a minor league deal.
Jurrjens, who has been rehabbing a knee injury, spent the 2013 season in the Tigers’ and Orioles’ systems, pitching a whopping seven and a third innings for the O’s in the bigs. He pitched fewer than 50 innings for the Braves in 2012. His last useful go in the bigs was 2011, when he posted a 2.96 ERA in 153 innings in Atlanta.
Reports have his velocity back up to 90, which is key, as a velocity drop and attendant injuries was the real culprit for his burnout a few years ago.
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)