May 20, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
White Sox closer Matt Lindstrom injured his ankle fielding a bunt in the ninth inning last night and now he’s been placed on the disabled list with what the team is calling a sublexing peroneal tendon.
Lindstrom had fared pretty well before the injury, saving six games with a 3.32 ERA in 19 innings despite a terrible 11/9 K/BB ratio.
To replace him on the roster the White Sox called up right-hander Javy Guerra from Triple-A, where he’s been pitching since they claimed him off waivers from the Dodgers last month. Guerra has some previous closing experience, but seems unlikely to be thrown right into ninth-inning duties for the White Sox.
Nate Jones would be the favorite for saves in Lindstrom’s absence, except he’s already on the disabled list with a back injury of his own. Manager Robin Ventura may be mixing and matching in save chances for a while.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 23
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 82
- The Lester trade is a win-win 110
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (110)