May 20, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
White Sox closer Matt Lindstrom injured his ankle fielding a bunt in the ninth inning last night and now he’s been placed on the disabled list with what the team is calling a sublexing peroneal tendon.
Lindstrom had fared pretty well before the injury, saving six games with a 3.32 ERA in 19 innings despite a terrible 11/9 K/BB ratio.
To replace him on the roster the White Sox called up right-hander Javy Guerra from Triple-A, where he’s been pitching since they claimed him off waivers from the Dodgers last month. Guerra has some previous closing experience, but seems unlikely to be thrown right into ninth-inning duties for the White Sox.
Nate Jones would be the favorite for saves in Lindstrom’s absence, except he’s already on the disabled list with a back injury of his own. Manager Robin Ventura may be mixing and matching in save chances for a while.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 0
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 31
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 55
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 23
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 140
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 135
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (140)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (136)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)