May 20, 2014, 3:15 PM EST
White Sox closer Matt Lindstrom injured his ankle fielding a bunt in the ninth inning last night and now he’s been placed on the disabled list with what the team is calling a sublexing peroneal tendon.
Lindstrom had fared pretty well before the injury, saving six games with a 3.32 ERA in 19 innings despite a terrible 11/9 K/BB ratio.
To replace him on the roster the White Sox called up right-hander Javy Guerra from Triple-A, where he’s been pitching since they claimed him off waivers from the Dodgers last month. Guerra has some previous closing experience, but seems unlikely to be thrown right into ninth-inning duties for the White Sox.
Nate Jones would be the favorite for saves in Lindstrom’s absence, except he’s already on the disabled list with a back injury of his own. Manager Robin Ventura may be mixing and matching in save chances for a while.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)