May 20, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
White Sox closer Matt Lindstrom injured his ankle fielding a bunt in the ninth inning last night and now he’s been placed on the disabled list with what the team is calling a sublexing peroneal tendon.
Lindstrom had fared pretty well before the injury, saving six games with a 3.32 ERA in 19 innings despite a terrible 11/9 K/BB ratio.
To replace him on the roster the White Sox called up right-hander Javy Guerra from Triple-A, where he’s been pitching since they claimed him off waivers from the Dodgers last month. Guerra has some previous closing experience, but seems unlikely to be thrown right into ninth-inning duties for the White Sox.
Nate Jones would be the favorite for saves in Lindstrom’s absence, except he’s already on the disabled list with a back injury of his own. Manager Robin Ventura may be mixing and matching in save chances for a while.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)