May 21, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT
Danny Knobler of ESPN Los Angeles reports that Dodgers prospect Alex Guerrero could miss five weeks following yesterday’s dugout altercation in which Triple-A teammate Miguel Olivo bit off part of his ear.
According to Knobler for now at least Guerrero has chosen not to file formal charges against Olivo, but he’s currently hospitalized and needs plastic surgery. And how exactly did an argument that led to someone’s ear being bitten off by a teammate begin?
Well, agent Scott Boras told the Los Angeles Times that “Olivo became steamed after his team allowed a stolen base in the seventh inning” and “blamed Guerrero for failing to tag the baserunner in time.”
So, you know, a perfectly reasonable justification for biting off someone’s ear.
Olivo apparently punched Guerrero in the dugout and then, according to the newspaper, “when players pulled off Olivo, he had a piece of Guerrero’s ear in his mouth.” Yeesh.
Guerrero signed a $28 million deal with the Dodgers this offseason after defecting from Cuba and is hitting .376 with 10 homers and a 1.152 OPS in 33 games at Triple-A, so if not for having an ear-biting maniac as a teammate he likely would have been in line for a call-up soon.
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 1
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 10
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 1
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)