May 21, 2014, 5:37 PM EST
Juan Uribe left last night’s game with a strained hamstring and the Dodgers have placed the third baseman on the disabled list. To replace him on the roster they called up Erisbel Arruebarrena, a Triple-A shortstop who was signed out of Cuba for $25 million this offseason.
Arruebarrena is a defensive specialist who’s only played shortstop in the minors, so it’ll be interesting to see how the Dodgers choose to replace Uribe. They could shift Hanley Ramirez to third base and use Arruebarrena at shortstop, but for today at least Ramirez remains at shortstop and Arruebarrena is on the bench.
Uribe was hitting .303 with four homers and a .785 OPS in 40 games, more or less matching his production from last season. Arruebarrena, meanwhile, hit just .208 with one homer and a .555 OPS in 25 games at Triple-A.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)