May 21, 2014, 5:37 PM EDT
Juan Uribe left last night’s game with a strained hamstring and the Dodgers have placed the third baseman on the disabled list. To replace him on the roster they called up Erisbel Arruebarrena, a Triple-A shortstop who was signed out of Cuba for $25 million this offseason.
Arruebarrena is a defensive specialist who’s only played shortstop in the minors, so it’ll be interesting to see how the Dodgers choose to replace Uribe. They could shift Hanley Ramirez to third base and use Arruebarrena at shortstop, but for today at least Ramirez remains at shortstop and Arruebarrena is on the bench.
Uribe was hitting .303 with four homers and a .785 OPS in 40 games, more or less matching his production from last season. Arruebarrena, meanwhile, hit just .208 with one homer and a .555 OPS in 25 games at Triple-A.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 70
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)