May 21, 2014, 5:37 PM EDT
Juan Uribe left last night’s game with a strained hamstring and the Dodgers have placed the third baseman on the disabled list. To replace him on the roster they called up Erisbel Arruebarrena, a Triple-A shortstop who was signed out of Cuba for $25 million this offseason.
Arruebarrena is a defensive specialist who’s only played shortstop in the minors, so it’ll be interesting to see how the Dodgers choose to replace Uribe. They could shift Hanley Ramirez to third base and use Arruebarrena at shortstop, but for today at least Ramirez remains at shortstop and Arruebarrena is on the bench.
Uribe was hitting .303 with four homers and a .785 OPS in 40 games, more or less matching his production from last season. Arruebarrena, meanwhile, hit just .208 with one homer and a .555 OPS in 25 games at Triple-A.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)