May 21, 2014, 5:37 PM EST
Juan Uribe left last night’s game with a strained hamstring and the Dodgers have placed the third baseman on the disabled list. To replace him on the roster they called up Erisbel Arruebarrena, a Triple-A shortstop who was signed out of Cuba for $25 million this offseason.
Arruebarrena is a defensive specialist who’s only played shortstop in the minors, so it’ll be interesting to see how the Dodgers choose to replace Uribe. They could shift Hanley Ramirez to third base and use Arruebarrena at shortstop, but for today at least Ramirez remains at shortstop and Arruebarrena is on the bench.
Uribe was hitting .303 with four homers and a .785 OPS in 40 games, more or less matching his production from last season. Arruebarrena, meanwhile, hit just .208 with one homer and a .555 OPS in 25 games at Triple-A.
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 64
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 30
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)