May 21, 2014, 5:37 PM EDT
Juan Uribe left last night’s game with a strained hamstring and the Dodgers have placed the third baseman on the disabled list. To replace him on the roster they called up Erisbel Arruebarrena, a Triple-A shortstop who was signed out of Cuba for $25 million this offseason.
Arruebarrena is a defensive specialist who’s only played shortstop in the minors, so it’ll be interesting to see how the Dodgers choose to replace Uribe. They could shift Hanley Ramirez to third base and use Arruebarrena at shortstop, but for today at least Ramirez remains at shortstop and Arruebarrena is on the bench.
Uribe was hitting .303 with four homers and a .785 OPS in 40 games, more or less matching his production from last season. Arruebarrena, meanwhile, hit just .208 with one homer and a .555 OPS in 25 games at Triple-A.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)