May 21, 2014, 4:39 PM EDT
Red Sox left-hander Felix Doubront exited last night’s start with a shoulder injury, saying afterward: “I couldn’t feel my shoulder.” And now the Red Sox revealed that Doubront suffered the injury from hitting his shoulder on a car door.
Alex Speier of WEEI.com reports that the Red Sox didn’t find out about the injury and how Doubront suffered it until after last night’s game, which no doubt angered manager John Farrell and company considering he allowed five runs in four innings to take the loss against the Blue Jays.
Doubront’s velocity fell off noticeably during the game, to the point that he was clocked in the mid-80s in his final inning of work, and he admitted afterward that he had trouble gripping the ball. He’s headed to the disabled list, although the exact severity of the injury and expected timetable is unclear.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 161
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 69
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (161)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)