May 21, 2014, 9:28 AM EDT
Red Sox left-hander Felix Doubront exited last night’s start against the Blue Jays in the fifth inning with what the team called shoulder fatigue and afterward he told reporters: “I couldn’t feel my shoulder. It was weird. I felt weird.”
In addition to the numbness, Doubront’s velocity also dipped during the game as he struggled to grip the ball and repeat his throwing motion. He’s scheduled to undergo an MRI exam today and seemed genuinely worried about the situation.
Prior to last night’s struggles Doubront had allowed just one run in back-to-back starts and posted a 3.48 ERA in his last six starts dating back to mid-April. But it’s awfully hard to pitch if you can’t feel your arm.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Wednesday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:10pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)