May 21, 2014, 9:28 AM EDT
Red Sox left-hander Felix Doubront exited last night’s start against the Blue Jays in the fifth inning with what the team called shoulder fatigue and afterward he told reporters: “I couldn’t feel my shoulder. It was weird. I felt weird.”
In addition to the numbness, Doubront’s velocity also dipped during the game as he struggled to grip the ball and repeat his throwing motion. He’s scheduled to undergo an MRI exam today and seemed genuinely worried about the situation.
Prior to last night’s struggles Doubront had allowed just one run in back-to-back starts and posted a 3.48 ERA in his last six starts dating back to mid-April. But it’s awfully hard to pitch if you can’t feel your arm.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Wednesday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:10pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 28
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 190
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (191)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)