May 21, 2014, 9:28 AM EDT
Red Sox left-hander Felix Doubront exited last night’s start against the Blue Jays in the fifth inning with what the team called shoulder fatigue and afterward he told reporters: “I couldn’t feel my shoulder. It was weird. I felt weird.”
In addition to the numbness, Doubront’s velocity also dipped during the game as he struggled to grip the ball and repeat his throwing motion. He’s scheduled to undergo an MRI exam today and seemed genuinely worried about the situation.
Prior to last night’s struggles Doubront had allowed just one run in back-to-back starts and posted a 3.48 ERA in his last six starts dating back to mid-April. But it’s awfully hard to pitch if you can’t feel your arm.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Wednesday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:10pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)