May 21, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
Twins catcher Kurt Suzuki hit an inside-the-park home run last night against the Padres, except here’s the thing: It wasn’t.
The ball actually cleared the fence just past the out-stretched glove of left fielder Seth Smith for what should have been a regular, old fashioned home run, but the umpire incorrectly believed that the ball had not cleared the wall. So no home run call was made, but Smith didn’t bother chasing after the ball because he thought it was a home run. And then Suzuki just kept running.
Here’s the MLB.com video:
No instant replay required because it would have been a home run either way, and this way we at least got to see Suzuki’s huge smile and hear Minnesota announcer Bert Blyleven’s laughter.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Wednesday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:10pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (151)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)