May 21, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
Mets right-hander Matt Harvey spoke to Tom Verducci of the Sports Illustrated about his recovery from Tommy John elbow surgery and said he wanted to return to the majors in August to make 5-7 starts down the stretch, but general manager Sandy Alderson quickly made it clear that the team isn’t going to let that happen.
August would be just 10 months after the surgery and the typically recovery timetable is 12-18 months, which is why Alderson said this to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York:
Not being a medical doctor and not really faced with that decision previously, I’ll reserve judgment. But the one thing we don’t want to do is be put in a situation where someone–Matt, or anyone else–has a setback because we’ve pushed the natural recovery processes further than we should have.
Exactly. Alderson and the Mets don’t need Harvey back for 5-7 starts in August and September, they need him back for hundreds of starts over the next decade. And by giving him every opportunity to be at full strength whenever he does take the mound again they give themselves the best chance to accomplish that.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)