May 21, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
From Bill Brink at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette …
Jason Grilli threw another 20-pitch simulated game and said he felt good.
“I would venture a guess that Saturday would be a real strong likely case that I would be out there,” Grilli said.
It was important for Grilli to face major league hitters rather than minor league competition. He said he does not need a rehab assignment.
Grilli has been on the disabled list since April 21 because of a left oblique strain. Mark Melancon has done an admirable job as the Pirates’ fill-in closer over the past four weeks but will presumably slide back into a setup role by early next week.
Grilli has a 2.83 ERA and 40 saves in 149 1/3 innings since joining the Bucs in 2011.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (114)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)