May 21, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
From Bill Brink at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette …
Jason Grilli threw another 20-pitch simulated game and said he felt good.
“I would venture a guess that Saturday would be a real strong likely case that I would be out there,” Grilli said.
It was important for Grilli to face major league hitters rather than minor league competition. He said he does not need a rehab assignment.
Grilli has been on the disabled list since April 21 because of a left oblique strain. Mark Melancon has done an admirable job as the Pirates’ fill-in closer over the past four weeks but will presumably slide back into a setup role by early next week.
Grilli has a 2.83 ERA and 40 saves in 149 1/3 innings since joining the Bucs in 2011.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 17
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 22
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 39
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)