May 21, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
From Bill Brink at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette …
Jason Grilli threw another 20-pitch simulated game and said he felt good.
“I would venture a guess that Saturday would be a real strong likely case that I would be out there,” Grilli said.
It was important for Grilli to face major league hitters rather than minor league competition. He said he does not need a rehab assignment.
Grilli has been on the disabled list since April 21 because of a left oblique strain. Mark Melancon has done an admirable job as the Pirates’ fill-in closer over the past four weeks but will presumably slide back into a setup role by early next week.
Grilli has a 2.83 ERA and 40 saves in 149 1/3 innings since joining the Bucs in 2011.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)