May 21, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
From Bill Brink at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette …
Jason Grilli threw another 20-pitch simulated game and said he felt good.
“I would venture a guess that Saturday would be a real strong likely case that I would be out there,” Grilli said.
It was important for Grilli to face major league hitters rather than minor league competition. He said he does not need a rehab assignment.
Grilli has been on the disabled list since April 21 because of a left oblique strain. Mark Melancon has done an admirable job as the Pirates’ fill-in closer over the past four weeks but will presumably slide back into a setup role by early next week.
Grilli has a 2.83 ERA and 40 saves in 149 1/3 innings since joining the Bucs in 2011.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 31
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 60
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)