VIDEO: Indians sweep Tigers on walkoff balk

May 21, 2014, 6:21 PM EDT

Watch as the Indians complete a three-game sweep of the division-rival Tigers courtesy of a walkoff balk in the bottom of the 13th inning Wednesday afternoon at Cleveland’s Progressive Field …

The Indians were 10 1/2 games back of Detroit when the series began. They’re now 7 1/2 back.

1. chill1184 - May 21, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Oh baseball you and your weird, very funny and entertaining outcomes.

2. miguelcairo - May 21, 2014 at 6:26 PM

It’s why we love it!

3. Old Gator - May 21, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Somewhere in northeastern Ohio Janessa is being hauled away on a drunk and disorderly.

• proudlycanadian - May 21, 2014 at 6:40 PM

I am sure that she has a big smile on her face

• proudlycanadian - May 21, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Both Verlander and Scherzer gave up a lot of runs against the Indians.

• kiwicricket - May 21, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Verlander is tossing it in at 92mph these days…he might have to get used to it.

• janessa31888 - May 21, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Wooohooo!!!!:) Staggers happily away, singing snatches of showtunes.

• thetoolsofignorance - May 21, 2014 at 11:58 PM

I’m glad Nick Swisher is making her happy. Not many people can say that.

• janessa31888 - May 22, 2014 at 6:27 AM

I didn’t say HE was making me happy. He needs to bring up his average from below the Mendoza line and cut back on the errors, but he certainly has an interesting personality.

4. dcarroll73 - May 21, 2014 at 6:37 PM

That’s gotta hurt. Talk about lame endings for a game. I am glad that the Indians brought the Tigers down to earth a little; runaways in May get a little boring unless it’s your team (as a Yanks fan I still have fond memories of 1998.)

• proudlycanadian - May 21, 2014 at 6:42 PM

You would have received a thumbs up if you had no mentioned 1998.

5. jrs45 - May 21, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Lmao good for the Tribe!

6. dowhatifeellike - May 21, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Rough ending. I think that balk rules should have an addendum for umpire discretion. The rule was originally written to minimize deception but most balk calls these days are simple muscle twitches or mental errors.

In this case, the pitcher started to come set but paused and went back to the stretch. Doesn’t mean much to the batter but with runners on base I think you still have to call it. Lots of things start to happen on the basepaths as a pitcher comes to the set position.

• missingdiz - May 21, 2014 at 8:40 PM

I don’t see what could have been going on with the bases loaded. In theory, maybe the runner on third was planning to steal home. But who would try to steal home if the pitcher is not going through some elaborate wind-up? The pitcher hardly moved. It’s a bad way to end a game. I think the rule needs some modification to prevent this sort of thing from happening. It’s a flaw. And to have a WTF moment like that end a 13-inning game between division rivals is especially bad. And no, I’m not a Tigers fan.

• ditto65 - May 21, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Left Turn in Albuquerque knows the rules…

• jwbiii - May 21, 2014 at 9:49 PM

So you want to give Joe West et al. more discretion? Brilliant!

7. jrs45 - May 21, 2014 at 8:52 PM

????? Did I miss something here. I don’t get it??? Lol

• proudlycanadian - May 21, 2014 at 9:28 PM

She has been moaning leally about her Indians lack of success

• janessa31888 - May 21, 2014 at 9:58 PM

I need somewhere to vent, and this is a good place for it. Where I live, all anybody wants to talk about is Johnny Football and Browns this, Browns that. Its nice to find a place where people really love baseball.
        I only wish I could express myself even half as eloquently as Old Gator.

• nbjays - May 21, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Yes, Janessa, Old Gator may be eloquent but at least we can understand what you are saying without resorting to Wikipedia, Google, a thesaurus and a Ouija board.

• thetoolsofignorance - May 22, 2014 at 12:04 AM

I swear, Old Gator IS William Gibson. If not Gibson then one of his contemporaries like George R Martin. Anyways, its good Janessa’s perked up. All that gloom was hard to watch. At least she’s not a Cubs fan. That would just make us all cry.

8. happytwinsfan - May 21, 2014 at 9:04 PM

The Tiger bleeds red like all the rest of us.

2006.

9. hieronymous27 - May 22, 2014 at 6:38 AM

A butt-ugly loss for the Tigers. Joe Nathan blows a lead in the bottom of the ninth. Phil Coke and Al Alburquerque continue to demonstrate they have no business being on a Major League Baseball team. Double A was the losing pitcher in two Cleveland walk-off wins in this series but he never could have done it without the help of the Coke-meister. Two tickets to the Toledo Mud Hens for these two gentlemen.

10. hieronymous27 - May 22, 2014 at 8:03 AM

Correction. Coke was the losing pitcher. Alburquerque just had a brain fart on the balk which lead to the winning run scored.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3319)