May 22, 2014, 9:16 AM EST
The Blue Jays’ Edwin Encarnacion went deep twice last night. He went deep twice the night before too. Oh, and he hit two homers on May 15 and two homers on May 8 as well.
Encarnacion has been going deep like crazy lately: he has 11 homers in his last 15 games. According to the Elias Sports Bureau he’s the first Blue Jays player to ever do such a thing. All of this after he had no homers through his first 19 games of the year and finished the month of April with only two.
If the hitting-two-at-a-time thing holds, Encarnacion could join some pretty elite company. As Matt Snyder of CBS Sports.com points out, the record for homers in May is 17, set by Barry Bonds in 2001. Several players are bunched up at 15 and 16. They have names like Mantle, McGwire, Killebrew, Ruth and Griffey. Pretty good company.
Encarnacion hit 36 homers while showing amazing plate discipline last season. He hit 42 the year before and struck out fewer than 100 times, which is pretty good for a power hitter in this era. Given how he’s doing so far this year, he’s likely going to post another impressive season and solidify his status as perhaps baseball’s most underrated hitter.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 8
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 30
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 92
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 44
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (97)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)