May 22, 2014, 9:16 AM EST
The Blue Jays’ Edwin Encarnacion went deep twice last night. He went deep twice the night before too. Oh, and he hit two homers on May 15 and two homers on May 8 as well.
Encarnacion has been going deep like crazy lately: he has 11 homers in his last 15 games. According to the Elias Sports Bureau he’s the first Blue Jays player to ever do such a thing. All of this after he had no homers through his first 19 games of the year and finished the month of April with only two.
If the hitting-two-at-a-time thing holds, Encarnacion could join some pretty elite company. As Matt Snyder of CBS Sports.com points out, the record for homers in May is 17, set by Barry Bonds in 2001. Several players are bunched up at 15 and 16. They have names like Mantle, McGwire, Killebrew, Ruth and Griffey. Pretty good company.
Encarnacion hit 36 homers while showing amazing plate discipline last season. He hit 42 the year before and struck out fewer than 100 times, which is pretty good for a power hitter in this era. Given how he’s doing so far this year, he’s likely going to post another impressive season and solidify his status as perhaps baseball’s most underrated hitter.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 65
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 79
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- So Curt Schilling spent his evening arguing against the theory of evolution (165)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)