May 22, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
I’m sure the future for Astros’ outfielder George Springer is bright. He’s quite a prospect with lots of talent and could very well be part of a group of young players who return the club to respectability.
But his ninth inning in the Astros-Angels game last night was pretty pathetic.
Top of the ninth inning, Angels up by one, Springer on first. In that situation it’s key to get into scoring position, of course, but you can’t get picked off. Your potential run is too important. Welp, Springer got picked off.
And got kicked in the face by Albert Pujols.
And strained his hip flexor on the play too, which will probably land him on the DL. You can watch the whole play here.
There will be better days, George. There can’t not be.
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 7
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 20
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)