May 22, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
I’m sure the future for Astros’ outfielder George Springer is bright. He’s quite a prospect with lots of talent and could very well be part of a group of young players who return the club to respectability.
But his ninth inning in the Astros-Angels game last night was pretty pathetic.
Top of the ninth inning, Angels up by one, Springer on first. In that situation it’s key to get into scoring position, of course, but you can’t get picked off. Your potential run is too important. Welp, Springer got picked off.
And got kicked in the face by Albert Pujols.
And strained his hip flexor on the play too, which will probably land him on the DL. You can watch the whole play here.
There will be better days, George. There can’t not be.
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 136
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 83
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 29
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (170)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (85)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)