May 22, 2014, 6:32 PM EST
If the Prince Fielder injury wasn’t bad enough news for Rangers fans, get a load of this.
According to Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Rangers manager Jon Daniels said during today’s conference call that infielder Jurickson Profar has been shut down after he aggravated the teres major muscle in his right shoulder. Yep, that’s a gut punch.
Profar was expected to take over as the starting second baseman following the Ian Kinsler trade, but he injured his shoulder late in spring training. The 21-year-old was just getting back into action in recent weeks, but he apparently tweaked his shoulder while “rolling over in bed.” Seriously.
Profar won’t have surgery, but the expectation is that he’ll miss another 8-12 weeks. In other words, he might not be ready to join the Rangers until around September. Quite a year for the Rangers. On the bright side, their beat reporters are becoming experts in medical jargon.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 19
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)