May 22, 2014, 6:32 PM EST
If the Prince Fielder injury wasn’t bad enough news for Rangers fans, get a load of this.
According to Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Rangers manager Jon Daniels said during today’s conference call that infielder Jurickson Profar has been shut down after he aggravated the teres major muscle in his right shoulder. Yep, that’s a gut punch.
Profar was expected to take over as the starting second baseman following the Ian Kinsler trade, but he injured his shoulder late in spring training. The 21-year-old was just getting back into action in recent weeks, but he apparently tweaked his shoulder while “rolling over in bed.” Seriously.
Profar won’t have surgery, but the expectation is that he’ll miss another 8-12 weeks. In other words, he might not be ready to join the Rangers until around September. Quite a year for the Rangers. On the bright side, their beat reporters are becoming experts in medical jargon.
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 0
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 34
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 61
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15