May 22, 2014, 6:32 PM EDT
If the Prince Fielder injury wasn’t bad enough news for Rangers fans, get a load of this.
According to Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Rangers manager Jon Daniels said during today’s conference call that infielder Jurickson Profar has been shut down after he aggravated the teres major muscle in his right shoulder. Yep, that’s a gut punch.
Profar was expected to take over as the starting second baseman following the Ian Kinsler trade, but he injured his shoulder late in spring training. The 21-year-old was just getting back into action in recent weeks, but he apparently tweaked his shoulder while “rolling over in bed.” Seriously.
Profar won’t have surgery, but the expectation is that he’ll miss another 8-12 weeks. In other words, he might not be ready to join the Rangers until around September. Quite a year for the Rangers. On the bright side, their beat reporters are becoming experts in medical jargon.
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 44
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)