May 22, 2014, 6:32 PM EDT
If the Prince Fielder injury wasn’t bad enough news for Rangers fans, get a load of this.
According to Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Rangers manager Jon Daniels said during today’s conference call that infielder Jurickson Profar has been shut down after he aggravated the teres major muscle in his right shoulder. Yep, that’s a gut punch.
Profar was expected to take over as the starting second baseman following the Ian Kinsler trade, but he injured his shoulder late in spring training. The 21-year-old was just getting back into action in recent weeks, but he apparently tweaked his shoulder while “rolling over in bed.” Seriously.
Profar won’t have surgery, but the expectation is that he’ll miss another 8-12 weeks. In other words, he might not be ready to join the Rangers until around September. Quite a year for the Rangers. On the bright side, their beat reporters are becoming experts in medical jargon.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (98)