May 22, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Orioles catcher Matt Wieters won’t be ready to come off the disabled list when eligible on May 26 and Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com reports that there’s still no timetable for his return from an elbow injury that may eventually require surgery.
Wieters recently received a platelet-rich plasma injection to hasten the healing process and told Ghiroli that he’s optimistic about avoiding surgery, but he’s not even to the point of beginning a throwing program yet.
Wieters was off to a big start before being placed on the disabled list, hitting .308 with five homers and an .838 OPS in 26 games, and the Orioles initially thought he might be able to stay in the lineup at designated hitter before deciding instead to shut him down.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $18,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Thursday night’s MLB games. It’s just $2 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 2
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 17
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 38
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 25
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)