May 22, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Orioles catcher Matt Wieters won’t be ready to come off the disabled list when eligible on May 26 and Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com reports that there’s still no timetable for his return from an elbow injury that may eventually require surgery.
Wieters recently received a platelet-rich plasma injection to hasten the healing process and told Ghiroli that he’s optimistic about avoiding surgery, but he’s not even to the point of beginning a throwing program yet.
Wieters was off to a big start before being placed on the disabled list, hitting .308 with five homers and an .838 OPS in 26 games, and the Orioles initially thought he might be able to stay in the lineup at designated hitter before deciding instead to shut him down.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $18,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Thursday night’s MLB games. It’s just $2 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (73)