May 22, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
Cardinals GM John Mozeliak said yesterday that stud prospect Oscar Taveras “could possibly” be called up when the club begins a stretch in American League ballparks on June 4. Presumably to play DH, or to share it with Allen Craig and Matt Adams as Taveras plays in the outfield.
Sometimes it feels like Taveras has been around forever, but the dude doesn’t turn 22 until next month. Which is pretty darn young for a guy to be abusing Triple-A pitchers the way he has been. He’s hitting .313/.361/.512 with six homers in 180 plate appearances this season, and has been scorching hot his past ten games, hitting .390/.422/.585.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 64
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 32
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)