May 22, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Cardinals GM John Mozeliak said yesterday that stud prospect Oscar Taveras “could possibly” be called up when the club begins a stretch in American League ballparks on June 4. Presumably to play DH, or to share it with Allen Craig and Matt Adams as Taveras plays in the outfield.
Sometimes it feels like Taveras has been around forever, but the dude doesn’t turn 22 until next month. Which is pretty darn young for a guy to be abusing Triple-A pitchers the way he has been. He’s hitting .313/.361/.512 with six homers in 180 plate appearances this season, and has been scorching hot his past ten games, hitting .390/.422/.585.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)