May 22, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
Phillies right-hander Jonathan Pettibone is on the Triple-A disabled list with a shoulder injury that dates back to last season and team doctors recently diagnosed him with a partially torn labrum, but he’s decided against having surgery.
For now, at least. This stuff almost never goes well and surgery is almost always required eventually. Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that Pettibone opted instead for an anti-inflammatory injection and rest, which is scheduled to last until at least the end of the month.
When asked about Pettibone’s decision to bypass surgery, general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said:
He was given all the options and he made the decision. He’s going to rest until the end of the month. There’s no timeline for when he’ll be ready. He’s had it. A lot of pitchers have these irregularities and pitch through them. They can get better. You also can strengthen the muscles and tissue around it. Jonathan’s is pretty small, but it was uncomfortable for him. Basically it’s how long can he manage through it.
Something tells me I’ll be writing a “Jonathan Pettibone to undergo shoulder surgery” post at some point, but hopefully I’m wrong. He had a 4.04 ERA in 18 starts during his MLB debut for the Phillies last season and at age 23 has mid-rotation starter upside long term.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 21
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)