May 22, 2014, 2:14 PM EST
Phillies right-hander Jonathan Pettibone is on the Triple-A disabled list with a shoulder injury that dates back to last season and team doctors recently diagnosed him with a partially torn labrum, but he’s decided against having surgery.
For now, at least. This stuff almost never goes well and surgery is almost always required eventually. Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that Pettibone opted instead for an anti-inflammatory injection and rest, which is scheduled to last until at least the end of the month.
When asked about Pettibone’s decision to bypass surgery, general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said:
He was given all the options and he made the decision. He’s going to rest until the end of the month. There’s no timeline for when he’ll be ready. He’s had it. A lot of pitchers have these irregularities and pitch through them. They can get better. You also can strengthen the muscles and tissue around it. Jonathan’s is pretty small, but it was uncomfortable for him. Basically it’s how long can he manage through it.
Something tells me I’ll be writing a “Jonathan Pettibone to undergo shoulder surgery” post at some point, but hopefully I’m wrong. He had a 4.04 ERA in 18 starts during his MLB debut for the Phillies last season and at age 23 has mid-rotation starter upside long term.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 59
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 156
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (158)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)