May 22, 2014, 2:14 PM EST
Phillies right-hander Jonathan Pettibone is on the Triple-A disabled list with a shoulder injury that dates back to last season and team doctors recently diagnosed him with a partially torn labrum, but he’s decided against having surgery.
For now, at least. This stuff almost never goes well and surgery is almost always required eventually. Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that Pettibone opted instead for an anti-inflammatory injection and rest, which is scheduled to last until at least the end of the month.
When asked about Pettibone’s decision to bypass surgery, general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said:
He was given all the options and he made the decision. He’s going to rest until the end of the month. There’s no timeline for when he’ll be ready. He’s had it. A lot of pitchers have these irregularities and pitch through them. They can get better. You also can strengthen the muscles and tissue around it. Jonathan’s is pretty small, but it was uncomfortable for him. Basically it’s how long can he manage through it.
Something tells me I’ll be writing a “Jonathan Pettibone to undergo shoulder surgery” post at some point, but hopefully I’m wrong. He had a 4.04 ERA in 18 starts during his MLB debut for the Phillies last season and at age 23 has mid-rotation starter upside long term.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 16
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 49
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)