May 22, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT
Pittsburgh catcher Russell Martin is back off the disabled list after missing the past month with a strained hamstring and to make room for him on the roster the Pirates have designated for assignment left-hander Wandy Rodriguez.
Rodriguez has struggled to pitch through an arthritic elbow all season, posting a 6.75 ERA in six starts, and previously spent time on the disabled list. He actually pitched well in his first start back off the DL last week, but Rodriguez allowed six runs without making it out of the second inning yesterday against the Orioles to apparently convince the Pirates he wasn’t going to contribute positively any longer.
Rodriguez was acquired from the Astros in mid-2012 and pitched well for the Pirates down the stretch that season and last season, but he’s repeatedly been limited by injuries. He’s owed $13 million this year, but Houston is on the hook for the majority of that and at age 35 with free agency around the corner he wasn’t going to be part of Pittsburgh’s plans beyond this season anyway.
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 9
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 87
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 63
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 15
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 27
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 66
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (96)