May 22, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
It’s Page Six stuff so take it with whatever weight you normally give Page Six stuff, but some names being bandied about by the committee looking to replace Bud Selig are starting to be leaked. One or two of them seem like what you’d expect. Another one, well, not so much:
Disney boss Bob Iger is firmly in Major League Baseball’s potential lineup of new commissioner candidates, according to sources. The Disney chairman and CEO — who oversees ABC and ESPN as part of his role — is a favorite of the league’s succession committee, sources say, which is trying to find a replacement for Bud Selig before he steps down at the end of his contract Jan. 24 . . .
. . . Other potential candidates include MLB execs such as COO Rob Manfred as well as Dodgers owner Stan Kasten and Phillies GM Rubén Amaro Jr.
Iger has some contractual issues that could prevent him from being an easy replacement for Selig. Amaro will likely only be considered until the committee takes a look at what in the holy hell he has done to the Phillies since taking over.
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 0
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 17
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)