May 22, 2014, 8:11 PM EDT
The Padres have placed left-hander Robbie Erlin on the 15-day disabled list due to elbow soreness. He’s the second member of San Diego’s starting rotation to go down over the past week, joining staff ace Andrew Cashner.
The good news is that the injury doesn’t appear to be serious. According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Padres manager Josh Byrnes said this evening that Erlin is expected to miss only two or three starts. Tim Stauffer will make a spot start tomorrow night against the Cubs, but Casey Kelly and the recently-signed Odrisamer Despaigne could join the rotation before long.
Erlin, 23, owns a 4.53 ERA and 39/11 K/BB ratio in 47 2/3 innings over eight starts and one relief appearance this season.
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 0
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 19
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 35
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 47
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)