May 22, 2014, 8:11 PM EDT
The Padres have placed left-hander Robbie Erlin on the 15-day disabled list due to elbow soreness. He’s the second member of San Diego’s starting rotation to go down over the past week, joining staff ace Andrew Cashner.
The good news is that the injury doesn’t appear to be serious. According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Padres manager Josh Byrnes said this evening that Erlin is expected to miss only two or three starts. Tim Stauffer will make a spot start tomorrow night against the Cubs, but Casey Kelly and the recently-signed Odrisamer Despaigne could join the rotation before long.
Erlin, 23, owns a 4.53 ERA and 39/11 K/BB ratio in 47 2/3 innings over eight starts and one relief appearance this season.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 8
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 15
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 65
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)