May 22, 2014, 8:11 PM EST
The Padres have placed left-hander Robbie Erlin on the 15-day disabled list due to elbow soreness. He’s the second member of San Diego’s starting rotation to go down over the past week, joining staff ace Andrew Cashner.
The good news is that the injury doesn’t appear to be serious. According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Padres manager Josh Byrnes said this evening that Erlin is expected to miss only two or three starts. Tim Stauffer will make a spot start tomorrow night against the Cubs, but Casey Kelly and the recently-signed Odrisamer Despaigne could join the rotation before long.
Erlin, 23, owns a 4.53 ERA and 39/11 K/BB ratio in 47 2/3 innings over eight starts and one relief appearance this season.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)