May 22, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Last night Giants reliever Santiago Casilla came up to bat in the ninth inning of a 5-1 game, hit a ground ball, and ran as hard as he possibly could to first base … and then tripped over the bag and fell down after tweaking his hamstring.
Casilla writhed in pain on the ground and had to be carted off the field. And now he’s headed to the disabled list with what the Giants are calling a strained hamstring.
CSNBayArea.com has a postgame video interview with Bruce Bochy in which the exasperated manager says he told Casilla not to even swing during the at-bat and suggests all Giants pitchers will be told to jog on the bases now:
The lesson, as always: Never hustle.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 12
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 13
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)