May 22, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Last night Giants reliever Santiago Casilla came up to bat in the ninth inning of a 5-1 game, hit a ground ball, and ran as hard as he possibly could to first base … and then tripped over the bag and fell down after tweaking his hamstring.
Casilla writhed in pain on the ground and had to be carted off the field. And now he’s headed to the disabled list with what the Giants are calling a strained hamstring.
CSNBayArea.com has a postgame video interview with Bruce Bochy in which the exasperated manager says he told Casilla not to even swing during the at-bat and suggests all Giants pitchers will be told to jog on the bases now:
The lesson, as always: Never hustle.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 32
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 46
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 26
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)