May 22, 2014, 12:45 PM EST
Last night Giants reliever Santiago Casilla came up to bat in the ninth inning of a 5-1 game, hit a ground ball, and ran as hard as he possibly could to first base … and then tripped over the bag and fell down after tweaking his hamstring.
Casilla writhed in pain on the ground and had to be carted off the field. And now he’s headed to the disabled list with what the Giants are calling a strained hamstring.
CSNBayArea.com has a postgame video interview with Bruce Bochy in which the exasperated manager says he told Casilla not to even swing during the at-bat and suggests all Giants pitchers will be told to jog on the bases now:
The lesson, as always: Never hustle.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 70
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 40
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 21
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)