May 22, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Last night Giants reliever Santiago Casilla came up to bat in the ninth inning of a 5-1 game, hit a ground ball, and ran as hard as he possibly could to first base … and then tripped over the bag and fell down after tweaking his hamstring.
Casilla writhed in pain on the ground and had to be carted off the field. And now he’s headed to the disabled list with what the Giants are calling a strained hamstring.
CSNBayArea.com has a postgame video interview with Bruce Bochy in which the exasperated manager says he told Casilla not to even swing during the at-bat and suggests all Giants pitchers will be told to jog on the bases now:
The lesson, as always: Never hustle.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)