May 22, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Last night Giants reliever Santiago Casilla came up to bat in the ninth inning of a 5-1 game, hit a ground ball, and ran as hard as he possibly could to first base … and then tripped over the bag and fell down after tweaking his hamstring.
Casilla writhed in pain on the ground and had to be carted off the field. And now he’s headed to the disabled list with what the Giants are calling a strained hamstring.
CSNBayArea.com has a postgame video interview with Bruce Bochy in which the exasperated manager says he told Casilla not to even swing during the at-bat and suggests all Giants pitchers will be told to jog on the bases now:
The lesson, as always: Never hustle.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)