May 22, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Stephen Drew re-signed with the Red Sox yesterday, waiting until May 21 to do so and accepting a prorated share of the $14.1 million qualifying offer he turned down at the beginning of the offseason. And yet his agent, Scott Boras, continues to claim that Drew turned down multi-year contract offers from other teams in order to return to Boston.
Here’s what Boras said on MLB Network Radio:
The quest, knowing that Stephen had set forth a path to achieve the dynamic of being an unrestricted free agent the idea was to put himself in a position where the team, and within an environment we knew he could be successful. It turned out we did get multi-year offers as the season opened up but it was Stephen’s decision to take a one-year deal and return to the Red Sox and have a chance to compete for another championship.
I suppose it’s possible that at some point in the offseason Drew had multi-year contract offers, but does anyone really believe by the time he decided to return to the Red Sox any of those offers were even distant memories, let alone still on the table? Drew and Boras misjudged the shortstop’s market and he ended up taking less money to return to his old team after having to sit out nearly one-third of the season. Anything else seems like merely a mediocre spin attempt.
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president, Al Avila takes over 0
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 28
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 22
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 89
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)