May 22, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
The Tigers optioned left-hander Robbie Ray to Triple-A Toledo after today’s start against the Rangers and Chris Iott of MLive.com hears that the team will call up right-handed reliever Corey Knebel for Friday’s game.
It’s been a rapid rise for Knebel, who was drafted No. 39 overall by the Tigers in last June’s First-Year Player Draft. The 22-year-old has posted a 0.90 ERA and 68/19 K/BB ratio over his first 50 innings in pro ball. This includes 11 appearances in Double-A this year and three scoreless appearances after a recent promotion to Triple-A. He’ll be the second player from the 2013 draft class to reach the majors, as the Indians called up fourth-rounder Kyle Crockett for a brief stint last week.
Listed at 6-foot-3 and 195 pounds, Knebel features a mid-90s fastball and a power curveball. He could be an impact arm in Detroit’s bullpen before long.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 18
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)