May 22, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Mets catcher Travis d’Arnaud landed on the 7-day concussion disabled list last week after he was hit in the head by Yankees designated hitter/outfielder Alfonso Soriano, but Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports the young catcher has now been cleared for baseball activities.
D’Arnaud suffered from “a lot of headaches,” as well as sensitivity to light and sound and difficulty sleeping after the concussion, but he felt symptom-free for the first time on Wednesday. He has been cleared to participate running, throwing, and hitting in the cage, but Mets manager Terry Collins said he’d like to see him go on a brief minor league rehab assignment before being activated. He’d still have to get the OK from doctors to return to game action.
D’Arnaud was a key piece of the deal that sent R.A. Dickey to the Blue Jays, but he has yet to enjoy sustained success so far in the majors. The 25-year-old owns a .199/.280/.289 batting line through 226 plate appearances.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 24
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 16
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 78
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 53
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)