May 23, 2014, 8:25 AM EST
Former Cub and current Padres pitcher Andrew Cashner didn’t mince words when asked about Wrigley Field yesterday:
“We’re spoiled here,” Cashner, a former Cubs pitcher, said of Petco Park. “We have some of the best facilities in baseball.
“And Wrigley, it’s a dump . . . It’s bad”
It’s certainly outdated, as the linked story by Mark Gonzales of the Tribune makes clear via comparisons with modern facilities like Petco. At Wrigley, for example, they drape a net in the clubhouse and set a batting tee in front of it for guys to take hacks during the game. Most modern parks have indoor cages not far from the dugout.
Wrigley is in a big renovation fight, obviously, thus the quest for comment. I presume that in a few years, however, the place will be just dandy.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 22
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)