May 23, 2014, 8:25 AM EDT
Former Cub and current Padres pitcher Andrew Cashner didn’t mince words when asked about Wrigley Field yesterday:
“We’re spoiled here,” Cashner, a former Cubs pitcher, said of Petco Park. “We have some of the best facilities in baseball.
“And Wrigley, it’s a dump . . . It’s bad”
It’s certainly outdated, as the linked story by Mark Gonzales of the Tribune makes clear via comparisons with modern facilities like Petco. At Wrigley, for example, they drape a net in the clubhouse and set a batting tee in front of it for guys to take hacks during the game. Most modern parks have indoor cages not far from the dugout.
Wrigley is in a big renovation fight, obviously, thus the quest for comment. I presume that in a few years, however, the place will be just dandy.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)