May 23, 2014, 8:25 AM EDT
Former Cub and current Padres pitcher Andrew Cashner didn’t mince words when asked about Wrigley Field yesterday:
“We’re spoiled here,” Cashner, a former Cubs pitcher, said of Petco Park. “We have some of the best facilities in baseball.
“And Wrigley, it’s a dump . . . It’s bad”
It’s certainly outdated, as the linked story by Mark Gonzales of the Tribune makes clear via comparisons with modern facilities like Petco. At Wrigley, for example, they drape a net in the clubhouse and set a batting tee in front of it for guys to take hacks during the game. Most modern parks have indoor cages not far from the dugout.
Wrigley is in a big renovation fight, obviously, thus the quest for comment. I presume that in a few years, however, the place will be just dandy.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 1
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 19
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 41
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 23
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)