May 23, 2014, 8:25 AM EDT
Former Cub and current Padres pitcher Andrew Cashner didn’t mince words when asked about Wrigley Field yesterday:
“We’re spoiled here,” Cashner, a former Cubs pitcher, said of Petco Park. “We have some of the best facilities in baseball.
“And Wrigley, it’s a dump . . . It’s bad”
It’s certainly outdated, as the linked story by Mark Gonzales of the Tribune makes clear via comparisons with modern facilities like Petco. At Wrigley, for example, they drape a net in the clubhouse and set a batting tee in front of it for guys to take hacks during the game. Most modern parks have indoor cages not far from the dugout.
Wrigley is in a big renovation fight, obviously, thus the quest for comment. I presume that in a few years, however, the place will be just dandy.
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 32
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 123
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 73
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (123)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)