May 23, 2014, 8:25 AM EST
Former Cub and current Padres pitcher Andrew Cashner didn’t mince words when asked about Wrigley Field yesterday:
“We’re spoiled here,” Cashner, a former Cubs pitcher, said of Petco Park. “We have some of the best facilities in baseball.
“And Wrigley, it’s a dump . . . It’s bad”
It’s certainly outdated, as the linked story by Mark Gonzales of the Tribune makes clear via comparisons with modern facilities like Petco. At Wrigley, for example, they drape a net in the clubhouse and set a batting tee in front of it for guys to take hacks during the game. Most modern parks have indoor cages not far from the dugout.
Wrigley is in a big renovation fight, obviously, thus the quest for comment. I presume that in a few years, however, the place will be just dandy.
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 13
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 81
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (81)