Braves minor leaguer suspended for PEDs

May 23, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT

Police Blotter

A little early for the customary Friday drug test results release, but it is a holiday weekend, so I can imagine the vice squad wants to get out of the office a tad early.

Anyway: Atlanta Braves Minor League second baseman Mikey Reynolds has received a 50-game suspension without pay after testing positive for Methylphenidate, a performance-enhancing substance. Reynolds is currently on the roster of the Single-A Rome Braves of the South Atlantic League.

Still better than Uggla.

1. El Bravo - May 23, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Man, I wish Uggla would use PEDs. He could improve as a result, or better yet, get caught and suspended, which saves the Braves some bucks on what has been a terrible investment.

2. raysfan1 - May 23, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Methylphenidate…AKA Concerta, a stimulant. If he had a diagnosis of ADD, he could have gotten a therapeutic use exemption.

• El Bravo - May 23, 2014 at 2:56 PM

I guess he had a paper to write for class.

• fleaman1381 - May 23, 2014 at 5:09 PM

It is around finals time.

3. metalhead65 - May 23, 2014 at 2:55 PM

have no fear kid you will have Craig’s vote when it comes time for your hall of fame vote.

4. roundballsquarebox24 - May 23, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Man, it’s kind of sad that when I read the headline about another minor-leaguer busted for PEDs, the first thing that came to my mind was “Oh, no… Yet another young man from my country caught up in this mess”. I will admit that I was kind of relieved to read that this kid’s name is “Mikey Reynolds” and not some variation of “Roberto Ortiz”..

• metalhead65 - May 23, 2014 at 4:17 PM

nothing sad about it unless it’s because you feel sorry for them for being so stupid that they do not know by now they will be tested and will be suspended if caught.

• roundballsquarebox24 - May 23, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Hey, man. All kinds of players take PEDs. White guys, Hispanic guys, all kinds of players. I think the difference is that many of these young Dominican players that get caught all the time are taking some nasty, easily detectable stuff. Most of these kids are taking in veterinary steroids. It is truly sad. A lack of education makes it easier for them to just take whatever some coach/teammate/”friend” tells them to take. Most of these guys have no idea what the hell it is that they’re taking. I am not saying that this is a racial thing; I think that it is more about social standing (economic/educational). The superstar ball-players are not testing positive(there is Braun, but..). MLB has to go out and do some intense investigations to catch these guys in other ways. They aren’t taking horse-steroids. Yes, the Biogenesis guys were pretty much all Dominican and Venezuelan. I think that those guys were probably using for a while, and were getting away with it, all while being tested normally because they were the big guys in “The Show”. They weren’t all big-names, but my comment applied to the Single-A, Double-A, unknown kids who get caught weekly, it seems like. I know that all of the Biogenesis guys knew each other, and their “crew” got taken down. I know this because I live in Tampa, FL, and I go to the Barbershop where A-Rod gets his haircut in the offseason, as well as most Dominican ball-players whenever they are in the Tampa area, so I know that virtually ALL Dominican/Venezuelan MLB players are acquaintances and know each other. It is not a coincidence that they would all use the same PED dealer, and all get caught at the same time. I think that there are other “groups” of guys in the league, of whatever ethnicity, who are constantly getting away with it. Unless the league goes out on a mission to deliberately take these guys down ala Biogenesis, they will continue to pee in the cup with a smile on their face, while the poor minor-leaguers are sticking themselves with a giant needle full of some horse medicine that will leave traces in their bodies for years after ingestion..

• metalhead65 - May 23, 2014 at 6:16 PM

maybe if the people in the dominican and other countries put as much emphisis on education as they do playing baseball their countries would not be so poor. I am sure you will find that statement racis but come on they play baseball from the time they are old enough to walk but quit school as soon as they can if they go at all and play ball. you would think that as more of these minor leaguers get caught word would spread do not take this crap or whatever anybody is telling you to take. but they are willing to do anything to escape poverty so it appears nothing will stop them.

• roundballsquarebox24 - May 23, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Actually, I do not find your comments to be “racist”. A little uninformed? Sure.. But I get where you’re coming from. I am an electrical engineer. I live a good life. But, I have everything I have because I moved to this country at a very young age. I was about 15 years old. Went to high school here, and was introduced to an entirely new life. I can see how somebody who has lived in this environment their entire life can have your views. It’s not just about “going to school”. Yes, I agree that there needs to be an educational reform in my country. It’s not as simple as the people putting an emphasis on education. This is a system where “schools” are in decaying conditions, teachers are inept, and half-way illiterate themselves. Children have to work to help their families feed themselves. I understand that all of this just seems so unreal, or inappropriate to you that your solution is just to “put more emphasis on education”. I am not ashamed to say that my mother has maybe a 7th grade level education, and my father barely made it to high school. They are very intelligent. They just don’t have a formal education. Certain things that we, “educated” people understand or see, they just cannot comprehend. My parents never put emphasis on “education” for me. I am where I am today because of the opportunities handed to me by the state of Florida. Americans, you are extremely lucky to have been born in this wonderful place, which although has many flaws just like any country, provides people with opportunities and gives everybody a basic right to an education and human rights! Public school system with baseball teams, and GUIDANCE COUNSELORS!? Non-existent. I decided to go to college because of a guidance counselor. He befriended me and helped me understand how getting an education was going to benefit my life in the long run.. I thought I was gonna be a big-league shortstop.. Needless to say I was never drafted. My parents never knew how to guide me on things of that matter. They would say things like “stay in school, son”. But beyond that? They had no idea! The concept was foreign to them. This is the case for most of the lower-class people of my country. So, until the government builds new schools, provides books made in this century, hires teachers who are actually qualified to teach, addresses other societal issues that force things like children having to work, “putting more emphasis on education” is just a pipe dream. Sad to say, I honestly have no hope for my country on this topic. I love my land, and I love going back all the time to be with my people, but thinking about these things realistically, I understand that more than likely these things are not going to change during my lifetime. By the way, I hate when people say that Dominican only play baseball because they want to escape poverty. When I was growing up it was the same, if not more intense! When I grew up there were no Dominican superstars in the big leagues! There had been a few guys who played in the MLB from the island (George Bell, Ozzie Virgil, Alou brothers, etc). But, none of us grew up thinking we would get signed and go to the MLB. We just have a natural FIRE for baseball! The kids of today who grew up in the era of Manny Ramirez and Albert Pujols? Yes, they have that dream to become MLB superstars because we love baseball so much, AND they see that other guys from our country are doing it on the big stage and becoming millionaires. Baseball has been a burning passion on the island since the late 1800s when it was brought over by Cubans, who learned it from American soldiers not long before that.

• jwbiii - May 24, 2014 at 12:58 AM

Electrical engineer? Awesome. That was what my father did. I wish you a long, happy, and successful career.

5. sfm073 - May 23, 2014 at 3:55 PM

A blogger taking cheap shots at a professional baseball player. Stay classy Craig

• El Bravo - May 23, 2014 at 4:41 PM

I mean, it was a low blow for sure. ALthough I think Uggla gets paid enough to handle it like a big boy.

• NatsLady - May 23, 2014 at 5:24 PM

It’s like the Barves are carrying a Rule 5 guy, except he costs a lot more. Anyway, they are managing to keep their head above water, so you can’t knock them too much.

Will Stanton worry about future beanings?
  1. G. Stanton (3479)