May 23, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
Joey Butler, a 28-year-old outfielder who appeared in six games with the Cardinals this season, is headed to Japan to play for the Orix Buffaloes. St. Louis will get cash in return for the former 15th-round pick.
Butler has put up some big numbers in the minors, including hitting .360 with four homers and a 1.028 OPS in 31 games at Triple-A this season. He’s a career .293 hitter in the minors.
In another organization Butler probably would have gotten a bigger opportunity, but the Cardinals are rich in outfielders in the majors and still have stud prospect Oscar Taveras waiting in the wings at Triple-A. He’ll make a lot more money and play a lot more in Japan.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 21
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)