May 23, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
Joey Butler, a 28-year-old outfielder who appeared in six games with the Cardinals this season, is headed to Japan to play for the Orix Buffaloes. St. Louis will get cash in return for the former 15th-round pick.
Butler has put up some big numbers in the minors, including hitting .360 with four homers and a 1.028 OPS in 31 games at Triple-A this season. He’s a career .293 hitter in the minors.
In another organization Butler probably would have gotten a bigger opportunity, but the Cardinals are rich in outfielders in the majors and still have stud prospect Oscar Taveras waiting in the wings at Triple-A. He’ll make a lot more money and play a lot more in Japan.
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 1
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 5
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 31
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 45
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)