May 23, 2014, 4:50 PM EST
Ichiro is hitting when he’s playing, he’s just not playing that much these days. So why not give him something else to do, Joe Girardi?
He just may, David Waldstein of the New York Times reports. After noting that the Yankees have played a lot of long games and burned through a lot of players, Girardi tells Waldstein that Ichiro may be the next position player he calls on in a blowout. And Ichiro likes the idea:
“I would be happy to help if they need me,” he said, his eyes brightening at the prospect of it.
Suzuki pitched to one batter in the 1996 Japan All-Star Game, and with his free-and-easy delivery, he induced a ground ball for an out from a pitcher.
Suzuki has two strong pitches.
“Fastball and slider,” he said with pride. “But like all Japanese pitchers, the splitter is my bread and butter.”
My bread and butter. I feel like that kind of hubris is kangaroo court fine-worthy. Not that I wouldn’t want to see him on the mound. God, now that I think about it, that may be the best reason to watch a Yankees game all year.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)