May 23, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Ichiro is hitting when he’s playing, he’s just not playing that much these days. So why not give him something else to do, Joe Girardi?
He just may, David Waldstein of the New York Times reports. After noting that the Yankees have played a lot of long games and burned through a lot of players, Girardi tells Waldstein that Ichiro may be the next position player he calls on in a blowout. And Ichiro likes the idea:
“I would be happy to help if they need me,” he said, his eyes brightening at the prospect of it.
Suzuki pitched to one batter in the 1996 Japan All-Star Game, and with his free-and-easy delivery, he induced a ground ball for an out from a pitcher.
Suzuki has two strong pitches.
“Fastball and slider,” he said with pride. “But like all Japanese pitchers, the splitter is my bread and butter.”
My bread and butter. I feel like that kind of hubris is kangaroo court fine-worthy. Not that I wouldn’t want to see him on the mound. God, now that I think about it, that may be the best reason to watch a Yankees game all year.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (196)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)