May 23, 2014, 9:37 PM EST
Rockies third baseman Nolan Arenado left Friday night’s game against the Braves after doubling and scoring in the top of the second inning with what the Rockies have diagnosed as a “left mallet finger fracture”. Arenado appeared to have suffered the injury sliding into second base on his double. Charlie Culberson replaced him at third base in the bottom of the second inning.
Via Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post, it sounds like Arenado could miss six to eight weeks:
Mallet finger that bends down at end joint and cannot be straightened. Caused by injury to tendon. Splint worn day and night for 6-8 weeks
— Patrick Saunders (@psaundersdp) May 24, 2014
Josh Rutledge was pulled from tonight’s game between the Colorado Springs Sky Sox and the Iowa Cubs. It appears that Rutledge will take Arenado’s spot on the roster.
Arenado has been a big contributor for the Rockies, slashing .305/.333/.489 while playing Gold Glove-caliber defense at third base.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)