May 23, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Yesterday 50 senators urged the NFL to change the Washington Redskins’ team name. Today Reid Epstein of the Wall Street Journal asks some senators if their local Native American exploiters need some change too.
Sen. Sherrod Brown of Ohio said he didn’t object to the Cleveland Indians‘ name, but he does want the Chief Wahoo logo to go. Epstein couldn’t get comment from Georgia’s senators, Johnny Isakson and Saxby Chambliss, on the Atlanta Braves, as they were not part of the Redskins thing — that was a Democratic party jam, and Isakson and Chambliss are Republicans — so they presumably weren’t immediately available on the topic.
As I’ve written here before, I’m generally OK with Indians and Braves as names — unlike the Redskins they’re not inherently slurs — but Wahoo and the Tomahawk Chop and its attendant whooping should be dropped like third period French.
And just to head off at least a portion of the inevitable crap-fest that will appear in the comments, no, I do not think that the government should be involved in such matters. If Congressmen want to make statements like they did yesterday, by all means, do so, as they’re citizens too and moving public opinion in any way they can is totally fair game. But the names and marks of private businesses are not of governmental concern.
I feel like I shouldn’t have to clarify that kind of thing, but if you’ve hung out in any of the Wahoo threads around here, you kinda know that I do.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 45
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 37
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 88
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)