May 23, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Bud Black hasn’t managed the Padres to a winning record since 2010 and the team is off to a 21-27 start this season, leading to speculation that he may not be long for the job.
San Diego Union Tribune columnist Kevin Acee writes that he’s “getting the distinct impression” Black’s job is in jeopardy, noting that the Padres’ upper management is “steamed at all the losing” after raising payroll significantly.
This would be the Padres’ seventh straight season without a playoff appearance under Black, who has a 561-622 record and .474 winning percentage overall. Acee makes it clear that he’s just speculating rather than reporting an imminent firing, but he obviously believes at the very least Black won’t last another season unless there’s a dramatic turnaround soon.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $18,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday night’s MLB games. It’s just $2 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 8
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 55
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)