May 23, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Bud Black hasn’t managed the Padres to a winning record since 2010 and the team is off to a 21-27 start this season, leading to speculation that he may not be long for the job.
San Diego Union Tribune columnist Kevin Acee writes that he’s “getting the distinct impression” Black’s job is in jeopardy, noting that the Padres’ upper management is “steamed at all the losing” after raising payroll significantly.
This would be the Padres’ seventh straight season without a playoff appearance under Black, who has a 561-622 record and .474 winning percentage overall. Acee makes it clear that he’s just speculating rather than reporting an imminent firing, but he obviously believes at the very least Black won’t last another season unless there’s a dramatic turnaround soon.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $18,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday night’s MLB games. It’s just $2 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 22
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 42
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 63
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 75
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 92
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)