Pedro Martinez on pitching: “It’s like caressing your wife. It’s touching and getting that feel to know her, alone.”
May 23, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT
FanGraphs’ David Laurila has a great interview with Pedro Martinez about his pitching style, how he learned, what worked for him, his pitch selection, his mechanics and everything. You read it and you feel like Martinez knows more about pitching than anyone in the world. Maybe he does.
It’s also got a little sex:
“Pitching is feel. Your hand and the ball is a marriage that should never end. The pitcher and the ball should be married forever. Hands, fingers, the ball – they should be married forever. It’s like caressing your wife. It’s touching and getting that feel to know her, alone. It’s the same thing with a baseball.”
I’ll be in my bunk.
Before I go, know that this is an absolute must-read.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 7
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 44
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 48
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 44
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)