Pedro Martinez on pitching: “It’s like caressing your wife. It’s touching and getting that feel to know her, alone.”
May 23, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT
FanGraphs’ David Laurila has a great interview with Pedro Martinez about his pitching style, how he learned, what worked for him, his pitch selection, his mechanics and everything. You read it and you feel like Martinez knows more about pitching than anyone in the world. Maybe he does.
It’s also got a little sex:
“Pitching is feel. Your hand and the ball is a marriage that should never end. The pitcher and the ball should be married forever. Hands, fingers, the ball – they should be married forever. It’s like caressing your wife. It’s touching and getting that feel to know her, alone. It’s the same thing with a baseball.”
I’ll be in my bunk.
Before I go, know that this is an absolute must-read.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)