Pedro Martinez on pitching: “It’s like caressing your wife. It’s touching and getting that feel to know her, alone.”
May 23, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT
FanGraphs’ David Laurila has a great interview with Pedro Martinez about his pitching style, how he learned, what worked for him, his pitch selection, his mechanics and everything. You read it and you feel like Martinez knows more about pitching than anyone in the world. Maybe he does.
It’s also got a little sex:
“Pitching is feel. Your hand and the ball is a marriage that should never end. The pitcher and the ball should be married forever. Hands, fingers, the ball – they should be married forever. It’s like caressing your wife. It’s touching and getting that feel to know her, alone. It’s the same thing with a baseball.”
I’ll be in my bunk.
Before I go, know that this is an absolute must-read.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)