Pedro Martinez on pitching: “It’s like caressing your wife. It’s touching and getting that feel to know her, alone.”
May 23, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT
FanGraphs’ David Laurila has a great interview with Pedro Martinez about his pitching style, how he learned, what worked for him, his pitch selection, his mechanics and everything. You read it and you feel like Martinez knows more about pitching than anyone in the world. Maybe he does.
It’s also got a little sex:
“Pitching is feel. Your hand and the ball is a marriage that should never end. The pitcher and the ball should be married forever. Hands, fingers, the ball – they should be married forever. It’s like caressing your wife. It’s touching and getting that feel to know her, alone. It’s the same thing with a baseball.”
I’ll be in my bunk.
Before I go, know that this is an absolute must-read.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 260
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 14
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 29
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 43
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (270)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)