Pedro Martinez on pitching: “It’s like caressing your wife. It’s touching and getting that feel to know her, alone.”
May 23, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT
FanGraphs’ David Laurila has a great interview with Pedro Martinez about his pitching style, how he learned, what worked for him, his pitch selection, his mechanics and everything. You read it and you feel like Martinez knows more about pitching than anyone in the world. Maybe he does.
It’s also got a little sex:
“Pitching is feel. Your hand and the ball is a marriage that should never end. The pitcher and the ball should be married forever. Hands, fingers, the ball – they should be married forever. It’s like caressing your wife. It’s touching and getting that feel to know her, alone. It’s the same thing with a baseball.”
I’ll be in my bunk.
Before I go, know that this is an absolute must-read.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 0
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 97
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 16
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 23
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39