Pedro Martinez on pitching: “It’s like caressing your wife. It’s touching and getting that feel to know her, alone.”

May 23, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT

Pedro Martinez AP

FanGraphs’ David Laurila has a great interview with Pedro Martinez about his pitching style, how he learned, what worked for him, his pitch selection, his mechanics and everything. You read it and you feel like Martinez knows more about pitching than anyone in the world. Maybe he does.

It’s also got a little sex:

“Pitching is feel. Your hand and the ball is a marriage that should never end. The pitcher and the ball should be married forever. Hands, fingers, the ball – they should be married forever. It’s like caressing your wife. It’s touching and getting that feel to know her, alone. It’s the same thing with a baseball.”

I’ll be in my bunk.

Before I go, know that this is an absolute must-read.

1. blabidibla - May 23, 2014 at 11:06 AM

I feel dirty.

2. hansob - May 23, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Too bad Grady Little didn’t properly understand refractory periods.

• gothapotamus90210 - May 23, 2014 at 11:24 AM

I wish I could shake your hand.

• grumpyoleman - May 23, 2014 at 12:59 PM

I’d be afraid to shake anyones hand after this discussion.

• petey1999 - May 23, 2014 at 1:57 PM

It’s been reported that one of the (many) keys to his pitching prowess is the disproportionate length of his fingers.

3. renaado - May 23, 2014 at 11:10 AM

“The pitcher and the ball should be married forever. Hands, fingers, the ball – they should be married forever.”

Not unless it’s a homer. Think of all the Divorce papers he has on every single one that has gone yard off him.

4. Old Gator - May 23, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Does that make pitching for the Feesh a cheap feel?

5. thetoolsofignorance - May 23, 2014 at 11:20 AM

ok. Well then. I’ll just leave Pedro and his balls alone there, I think

6. gothapotamus90210 - May 23, 2014 at 11:34 AM

If you’ve ever hung a slider, you totally get Pedro’s analogy. If you don’t get the grip/finger pressure just right, it’s like the old girlfriend who slashed your tires.

• Old Gator - May 23, 2014 at 12:58 PM

My brother’s ex girlfriend did an even more wonderful thing. She took her old Panzer, an Olds 88 (remember those?), and systematically rammed his Corvette all the way around – even driving up on the lawn to hit it from the curb side. Steel versus fiberglass. It was like watching a mixed martial arts match between Rhonda Rousey and Shirley Temple as a child star. It was just a thing of beauty. Unfortunately she got herself arrested for it and I imagine that, 35 years later, my brother’s insurance company is still looking for her.

• Gamera the Brave - May 23, 2014 at 3:00 PM

” It was like watching a mixed martial arts match between Rhonda Rousey and Shirley Temple as a child star. It was just a thing of beauty. ”

Gator, I am a bit concerned with your finding beauty in a mop-betopped kid getting their arse kicked in…

Wait, did I take the second sentence out of context?…

• gothapotamus90210 - May 23, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Great story. Sobchak on steroids.

• Old Gator - May 23, 2014 at 6:12 PM

@gamera: yes you did but it’s OK. Children are horrible.

7. hittfamily - May 23, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Oh my stars. Is it a little hot in here?

8. nbjays - May 23, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Maybe it’s just me, but I doubt that this analogy will work well when training pitchers in Little League.

9. chacochicken - May 23, 2014 at 11:53 AM

I like trying new pitches. Probably why I’m divorced.

• Old Gator - May 23, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Here’s a pickup line that can’t miss: “Pardon me, but do you believe in entropy on a first date?”

• jimeejohnson - May 23, 2014 at 1:14 PM

As long as s/he understands “entropy”. Notice the political correctness of the
        “s/he” pronoun (hope there’s not anything wrong with that).

10. jimeejohnson - May 23, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Pedro: throw any senior citizens down lately? I’m the opposite of a Yankee fan, but wish you had to bat your whole career cause you would have gotten beaned many, many times. You hid behind the DH rule like the coward you are. To the Boston homers who blindly support this chump: Go Red Sox!

11. supersnappy - May 23, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Clearly Pedro Martinez enjoys pitching a lot

12. musketmaniac - May 23, 2014 at 3:07 PM

as a young man I had a fling with an older woman. she got extremely excited when I easily undid her garters with one hand. she said most men fumbled with it. Was this the kind of Harliquen, milky white bullshyt he was speaking of.

• Old Gator - May 23, 2014 at 6:13 PM

I guess that depends on how many hands you actually have.

13. doctornature - May 23, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Pedro:

“I probably want to be soft more than I want to be hard. ”

10% or so of baseball fans liked this.

The other 90% are thinking:

“Wait until you hit 60.”

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (4125)