May 23, 2014, 3:27 PM EST
Pirates closer Jason Grilli is off the disabled list after missing the past month with a strained oblique muscle.
Grilli saved 33 games last season and another four games this year before going on the disabled list, but it’s possible the Pirates will ease him back into the bullpen mix in a low-leverage role because of how well Mark Melancon has fared filling in at closer.
Melancon has eight saves with a 2.05 ERA and 15/5 K/BB ratio in 22 innings this season after making the All-Star team last year on the way to posting a 1.39 ERA in 71 innings.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)