May 23, 2014, 3:27 PM EDT
Pirates closer Jason Grilli is off the disabled list after missing the past month with a strained oblique muscle.
Grilli saved 33 games last season and another four games this year before going on the disabled list, but it’s possible the Pirates will ease him back into the bullpen mix in a low-leverage role because of how well Mark Melancon has fared filling in at closer.
Melancon has eight saves with a 2.05 ERA and 15/5 K/BB ratio in 22 innings this season after making the All-Star team last year on the way to posting a 1.39 ERA in 71 innings.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 2
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 4
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)