May 23, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
Drew is expected to spend about 10 days in the minors, likely moving up to Double-A or Triple-A early next week.
After waiting for better offers that never arrived–or, if you believe agent Scott Boras, turning down multi-year offers–Drew signed a one-year deal to return to the Red Sox for a prorated share of the $14.1 million qualifying offer that he turned down at the beginning of the offseason. That comes out to around $10 million and he’ll end up missing the first two months of the season.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 16
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)