May 23, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
Drew is expected to spend about 10 days in the minors, likely moving up to Double-A or Triple-A early next week.
After waiting for better offers that never arrived–or, if you believe agent Scott Boras, turning down multi-year offers–Drew signed a one-year deal to return to the Red Sox for a prorated share of the $14.1 million qualifying offer that he turned down at the beginning of the offseason. That comes out to around $10 million and he’ll end up missing the first two months of the season.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 10
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 43
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 60
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 54
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (101)