May 23, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
Drew is expected to spend about 10 days in the minors, likely moving up to Double-A or Triple-A early next week.
After waiting for better offers that never arrived–or, if you believe agent Scott Boras, turning down multi-year offers–Drew signed a one-year deal to return to the Red Sox for a prorated share of the $14.1 million qualifying offer that he turned down at the beginning of the offseason. That comes out to around $10 million and he’ll end up missing the first two months of the season.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 12
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 214
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 139
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (214)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (140)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)