May 23, 2014, 5:40 PM EST
Drew is expected to spend about 10 days in the minors, likely moving up to Double-A or Triple-A early next week.
After waiting for better offers that never arrived–or, if you believe agent Scott Boras, turning down multi-year offers–Drew signed a one-year deal to return to the Red Sox for a prorated share of the $14.1 million qualifying offer that he turned down at the beginning of the offseason. That comes out to around $10 million and he’ll end up missing the first two months of the season.
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 1
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 21
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)