May 23, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
Konerko talked at length about the New York Yankees captain’s accomplishments before the White Sox and Yankees kicked off a four-game series on Thursday night.
Barring a postseason series, this will be Jeter’s last trip to U.S. Cellular Field, as he announced he would retire after 20 seasons at the end of 2014. Konerko clearly values Jeter’s achievements on the field. The shortstop has won five World Series rings and has 3,356 hits.
But Konerko places just as much importance on how Jeter handled himself away from the diamond.
“He has had to do deal with the most and done it the best, with the most class, so for me, he’s No. 1 in my book when it comes to all that stuff,” Konerko said. “It’s definitely appreciated by myself and the players in the game. When a guy like that, as good as he is, and has everybody staring at him and looking at him for 20 years, you hope it falls into someone’s lap like his, that he handles it right and does right by it, and he’s never let anybody down. It’s really amazing. He might be the best ever when it comes to that.”
Jeter has mutual admiration for Konerko, who also plans to retire at the end of 2014. The two have faced off for 16 seasons, and Jeter appreciates how Konerko has performed. Konerko, Jeter and Philadelphia’s Jimmy Rollins are the only current players in the majors to have at least 2,200 hits with the same team.
“I respect his game, how he handles himself,” Jeter said. “He’s had a lot of success in his career and a lot of success against us in his career. You enjoy competing against guys like that. I’ve gotten to know him a little bit throughout the years, and he’s had a wonderful career. I’ve always respected him.”
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 6
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 4
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)