May 24, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
On Friday against the Marlins, Brewers manager Ron Roenicke put outfielder Carlos Gomez back into the starting lineup after the 28-year-old took a couple days off with lower back pain. But it wasn’t in Gomez’s usual spot at the top of the batting order — Gomez was put in the clean-up spot. Gomez responded by going 4-for-5 with three doubles, a pair of RBI, and a pair of runs scored.
Gomez was back in the same spot for Saturday afternoon’s game against the Marlins, and as of this writing, he has already doubled and stolen third base. Clearly, Gomez is taking to the change and in fact, he said hitting cleanup is “a sexy feeling”. Via Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:
“When you go to the plate, it’s a sexy feeling,” said the bubbly Gomez. “I’ve been doing the leadoff job but for the future I don’t want to be leadoff. It was good today. The manager made the decision to put me there. He knows he can put me anywhere and I won’t complain.
“But, for the future, it’s my goal to hit third or fourth.”
Friday wasn’t the first time Gomez had hit cleanup; he had done so in 19 starts last season, posting a .197/.299/.364 slash line with three home runs and nine RBI in 77 plate appearances.
Gomez entered Saturday’s game slashing .312/.385/.584 with 10 home runs, 25 RBI, and seven stolen bases, a very nice follow-up to last season’s All-Star campaign.
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 7
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 196
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 93
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (199)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (93)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (84)