May 24, 2014, 6:05 PM EST
On Friday against the Marlins, Brewers manager Ron Roenicke put outfielder Carlos Gomez back into the starting lineup after the 28-year-old took a couple days off with lower back pain. But it wasn’t in Gomez’s usual spot at the top of the batting order — Gomez was put in the clean-up spot. Gomez responded by going 4-for-5 with three doubles, a pair of RBI, and a pair of runs scored.
Gomez was back in the same spot for Saturday afternoon’s game against the Marlins, and as of this writing, he has already doubled and stolen third base. Clearly, Gomez is taking to the change and in fact, he said hitting cleanup is “a sexy feeling”. Via Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:
“When you go to the plate, it’s a sexy feeling,” said the bubbly Gomez. “I’ve been doing the leadoff job but for the future I don’t want to be leadoff. It was good today. The manager made the decision to put me there. He knows he can put me anywhere and I won’t complain.
“But, for the future, it’s my goal to hit third or fourth.”
Friday wasn’t the first time Gomez had hit cleanup; he had done so in 19 starts last season, posting a .197/.299/.364 slash line with three home runs and nine RBI in 77 plate appearances.
Gomez entered Saturday’s game slashing .312/.385/.584 with 10 home runs, 25 RBI, and seven stolen bases, a very nice follow-up to last season’s All-Star campaign.
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 0
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 76
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (76)