Carlos Gomez says “it’s a sexy feeling” to bat cleanup

May 24, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT

Milwaukee Brewers v Atlanta Braves Getty Images

On Friday against the Marlins, Brewers manager Ron Roenicke put outfielder Carlos Gomez back into the starting lineup after the 28-year-old took a couple days off with lower back pain. But it wasn’t in Gomez’s usual spot at the top of the batting order — Gomez was put in the clean-up spot. Gomez responded by going 4-for-5 with three doubles, a pair of RBI, and a pair of runs scored.

Gomez was back in the same spot for Saturday afternoon’s game against the Marlins, and as of this writing, he has already doubled and stolen third base. Clearly, Gomez is taking to the change and in fact, he said hitting cleanup is “a sexy feeling”. Via Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

“When you go to the plate, it’s a sexy feeling,” said the bubbly Gomez. “I’ve been doing the leadoff job but for the future I don’t want to be leadoff. It was good today. The manager made the decision to put me there. He knows he can put me anywhere and I won’t complain.

“But, for the future, it’s my goal to hit third or fourth.”

Friday wasn’t the first time Gomez had hit cleanup; he had done so in 19 starts last season, posting a .197/.299/.364 slash line with three home runs and nine RBI in 77 plate appearances.

Gomez entered Saturday’s game slashing .312/.385/.584 with 10 home runs, 25 RBI, and seven stolen bases, a very nice follow-up to last season’s All-Star campaign.

1. roundballsquarebox24 - May 24, 2014 at 6:36 PM

It really is, though! Nothing like coming up to the plate, with men on base, as the cleanup hitter! Baseball is so ingrained in Dominican society that the term “4th-Bat” is a colloquial term that would be equivalent to Americans saying “The Man”. A “cool” guy walks into a room or something, and you will here “Oh, here comes the 4th-bat!”. I’m sure hitting cleanup and doing well at it means a lot to Carlos!

• gothapotamus90210 - May 25, 2014 at 3:21 AM

Batting cleanup is like a drug, especially when you get the promotion to it after never having done it. It’s the sense that you have officially arrived, and you’re the most feared hitter on the team. It really is a sexy feeling.

2. musketmaniac - May 24, 2014 at 6:42 PM

The rose goes in the front, carlos.

3. kraa0901 - May 24, 2014 at 6:55 PM

It’s a “gut wrenching” feeling to know Ron Gardenhire and the Twins pushed him out of town. Just one example of many where they screwed up miserably.

• brewcrewfan54 - May 24, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Sad thing is you guys dummped Hardy after only 1 or 2 seasons so you basically just gave him away. Not that Hardy was any kind of prize, I was happy to see him go, but talk about a trade where 1 team lost bad.

• Francisco (FC) - May 24, 2014 at 9:44 PM

The twins seem to do a lot of those. I’m not saying Ben Revere is some kind of prize, but he holds more promise and potential right now than the Vanimal.

4. ch0psuey - May 25, 2014 at 12:48 AM

“Hello I am Carlos Gonzales and I am an attention whore…..”

• rhett16 - May 25, 2014 at 8:05 AM

Nice jab at Carlos Gonzales! Allow me to draw your attention to the fact that this story is about Carlos Gomez. You’re welcome.

• roundballsquarebox24 - May 25, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Carlos Gonzalez..

5. DonRSD - May 25, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Mets had this kid and traded him in the mega Santana deal.
    Should’ve waited until Santana was a free agent.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3437)